Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alight, previously I posted that I was trying to install a Kindle fire HD into my dash. Basically as a head unit. I am interested in using Torque for droid as additional gauges my mustang did not come with. If anyone has used torque for droid, what gauges come with it. I see no point to have an accelerometer, before I make the jump to get OBDII Blue Tooth adapter, How reliable is this, Does it have oil pressure, coolant temp, AFR. Is this a gimmick trying to part me with my money? Or is this a viable alternative to hard wired gauges.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its good. I keep a spare phone in my car just to run torque. I bought the kiwi dongle for $100, but you can risk frying your cpu w/ the $20 chinese one.
Torque has tons of user selectable parameters and alolows you to datalog if you choose.

·
n00b
171 Posts

used it on my solstice gxp coupe and lotus elise without fail. nor fry. for years. been datalogging on my 'stang @ 5hz using both torque and petreldata to my droid razr for months. fear not :)

also, you see what the ecu sees - everything. track apps pale in comparison, save for its convenient location. did have to buy a cheap $5 extension cord off ebay recently, to relocate the adapter away from the inconveniently placed OBD-II port; knocked the adapter out just far enough to stop logging a couple times with my knee at a recent race due to some high cornering loads coupled with a soft suspension (damn stock prep classes!)

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
^^ teach me oh wise ones of the data logging in car.

So I buy this from Amazon, plug it in to my droid phone and boom, I'm data logging in the car just like Paul Walker in my line green Mitsubishi eclipse?

Ok, last part was a joke. But seriously, its that simple?

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I get the equipment, what guages come with it? I'm on the verge of having everything ready to go in, just messing with the small stuff now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just load the free version & play with it. I'm still using that one--though I'll jump to the paid one once spring rolls around & track days/autocrosses start up again. I went ahead and took a chance on one of those cheap BT OBD II adapters they say don't work (same one as boardkat liked too-got mine off ebay), and have not had a single issue. I've used it across several cars. The key is it's an ELM327-based unit.

It does come with a lot of different gauges & you can customize up to 5 screens worth of displays. Yes, it is just that easy.

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,398 Posts
I've been using the free version with my cheap BT adapter I got off amazon. Used it in multiple cars and no issues or complaints.

My main question is does the Kindle Fire HD support BT?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quickie Google search says yes, so the OP is good there. Next issue is getting the app. I am not turning up Torque on the Amazon appstore (IIRC, the Kindles are limited to using that & not Google's market).

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using the free version with my cheap BT adapter I got off amazon. Used it in multiple cars and no issues or complaints.

My main question is does the Kindle Fire HD support BT?
Kindle fire, no Kindle Fire HD yes

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEA RIGHT! THEY WANT 1200.00 TO PUT A TABLET IN MY CAR! looks like I am doing this on my own, any here have any good ideas? I'm about to use some suction cups and call it good.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen it availible on my regular kindle fire, I guess I should get the HD and make sure lol

·
5.Slow Driver
276 Posts
I use the paid version all the time. Reads literally every single sensor your car has, dtcs, data logs, everything. Not bad for 5$ software and my Bluetooth adapter is the orange/blue eBay one. I monitor AFRs and all kinds of stuff. Only thing I wish was it showed oil temperature. Can't figure out how to get that but literally everything else works perfect.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Now I'm thinking about using my Kindle fire HD as my head unit and my dash. I am gonna try and mount up right in the dash gauge cluster.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I'm thinking about using my Kindle fire HD as my head unit and my dash. I am gonna try and mount up right in the dash gauge cluster.
Post Pics if you do. I wonder how the kindle will hold up to being mounted with constant power like that..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts