Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a HU, amp, and sub in my '03 GT.
I've been experiencing some alternator whine from my rear speakers.
It occasionally stops at random times like hitting my dash, turning my headlights, etc.
I've checked all the grounds and they're on good so I'm thinking it may be my RCA's and remote wire running too close.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Make sure your power wire and RCAs are run on opposite sides of the car. If they MUST cross paths, make them cross at a 90* angle.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I dont think it alternator whine, but interference to the amps. How did you ground them? Did you run the power and single wires on the same side?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The power wire is ran down the drivers side, the remote wire runs down the left side of the center console, and the RCAs run down the passenger side of the center console.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radio is grounded to a metal spot behind it, I'll probably take it off and sand it down some and reinstall it. The amp is grounded to some bare metal in the trunk. I took out my spare tire so if I need to move the amp ground I can move it down there.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I grounded my amps to some bolts behind the rear seat bottom cushion. Haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I redid the wiring and made sure none of the cables crossed.
It's still making the noise -_-

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I know you probably know this but make sure that your grounds are strictly metal to metal with no fabric or sound deadening between the wire and chassis. Sounds more like interference than alternator whine.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you probably know this but make sure that your grounds are strictly metal to metal with no fabric or sound deadening between the wire and chassis. Sounds more like interference than alternator whine.
My mono amp has a good ground. I used my multimeter to check it.
I'm thinking it may be the stereo ground and/or RCAs.

I saw a few things where it says you can put some speaker wire in the RCA and it fixes their problem.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Have you tried replacing your RCA's with a different set? I'd see if I could ground the HU to something else also.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried replacing your RCA's with a different set? I'd see if I could ground the HU to something else also.
Thanks man I'll try that.
Is 400 grit sandpaper enough?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So this morning I took my multimeter and grounded my amp to my seat bolt. It saves space and clutter in my trunk.

Also, I checked the ground for my radio. It was kind of rusty and my meter kept jumped from as low as 0.3 ohms to as high as in the 30's. I checked the rail that the radio sits on and around the hole stayed between 0-3ohms so I sanded with 36 grit, 60 grit, and 120 grit and checked again after cleaning the dust and shavings off.

It stayed around 0.5ohms so I grounded it there with a 1/4" bolt and a lock washer on the ground cable's connector with a flat washer and a nut on the other side.

After driving 50-60 miles and hitting several bumps, the whine is still gone, so I think that solved the problem.

Hopefully other people will see this and it'll help them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts