Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Currently running the 87 octane performance tune, but I use 90 octane fuel. So should I get the guys at BAMA send me a 90 octane performance tune?
All help is appreciated!:cool::tomato:cool:

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Texas has 90 octane? I've never even heard of 90 octane. I just heard of 87, 89, 91, and 93 for the regular octanes here in the States. Why not just run 93 octane though?

Generally you can get away with a difference of two points in octane without any sort of issue. The computer can generally compensate for two octane points. So, I would get Bama to write you an updated tune. My guess is that they will send you a true 91 octane tune.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I never heard of 90 ether all we have is 87,89,91 ans some places have 94

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
It's not going to hurt you to run a higher octane than your tune calls for. You only have to be cautious when running a lower octane gas than your tune. The only real difference in the tune is your ignition timing. With a higher octane gas you can run more timing, so it won't really matter if you are using a higher octane gas except that you are not getting all of the benefits of the better grade gas. There is going to be no difference in power running the 87 tune with 90 or 90 octane as the ignition timing will remain the same and your car will still think your running 87.

If you want, you could always just bump up the timing on your tuner instead of getting another tune. That's all they are going to do at BAMA.

·
Registered
237 Posts
87, 89, 92, 93 octane here in WV.

·
Registered
691 Posts
87,89,92 is all i see around my area and the areas i travel to in WA

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Texas has 90 octane? I've never even heard of 90 octane. I just heard of 87, 89, 91, and 93 for the regular octanes here in the States. Why not just run 93 octane though?

Generally you can get away with a difference of two points in octane without any sort of issue. The computer can generally compensate for two octane points. So, I would get Bama to write you an updated tune. My guess is that they will send you a true 91 octane tune.
93 Octane is very hard to find around my parts of Texas (High Plains), 90 is everywhere but 91 is pretty hard to find as well.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I know New Mexico has 86,88, and 90

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I can get 91 in alamogordo nm. Sweet i will have to use 93 when i go to amarillo for a car show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts