Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start off by saying, I JUST cleaned my IAC and MAF today. I used carb cleaner, just the generic off brand. While I know that the New Edge's have quite possibly the worst air conditioner and sap a huge amount of power (or at least it seems in all the New Edge's I've been in), this just doesn't seem right...

Video is self explanitory.

Edit:I jsut watched the video... In the car, it's more dramatic. The idle would sometimes bog all the way down to 500 rpms. The car was quite warm after this video. It happened real bad on a cold start...

Basically it would surge to 900 like in the video, find it's idle, then bog to about 500, then find idle, then repeat.

Any ideas on the culprit?

[ame=http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/zinc02gt/?action=view&current=SDC11091.flv]
[/ame]

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
My car did this but so much worse, mine would jump to 1400 and drop down to about 300 and sometimes even stall out. Your IAC is shot man, take it to ford and order a new one. I was going insane for months fixing, cleaning, and tweaking everything on my car trying to get this to stop. It even happened when I used any of the heat settings besides the floor, because the vents and defrosters run off the a/c compressor believe it or not. My windows would fog up and I would have to drive in the rain with them open just to be able to see, or my car would randomly stall at stoplights. Save yourself the headache and get a new IAC asap. After I changed mine my idle actually pics up a bit now when running the air or heat. It runs very well and never surged around like that on me since, always holds a healthy 800-900 rpm. Changing the IAC will definatly solve your problem. :yes

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
To elaborate on this a bit for you, don't bother messing with the IAC yourself, a little pin inside gets stuck sometimes and this causes the surging rpms. It's not something you can fix, it has to be replaced. Because you are going through ford it's going to be pricey mine was about $300 for the part and install, but you could always just order it and do it yourself. I just dropped my car there and let them mess with it so if it didn't fix the problem they wouldn't charge me anything.:D By the way get some gas! lol I never let mine get lower then a 1/4 tank incase there is buildup in there at the bottom, also I wish radio stations here played some STP once in a while!:p

·
Registered
997 Posts
My car did this but so much worse, mine would jump to 1400 and drop down to about 300 and sometimes even stall out. Your IAC is shot man, take it to ford and order a new one. I was going insane for months fixing, cleaning, and tweaking everything on my car trying to get this to stop. It even happened when I used any of the heat settings besides the floor, because the vents and defrosters run off the a/c compressor believe it or not. My windows would fog up and I would have to drive in the rain with them open just to be able to see, or my car would randomly stall at stoplights. Save yourself the headache and get a new IAC asap. After I changed mine my idle actually pics up a bit now when running the air or heat. It runs very well and never surged around like that on me since, always holds a healthy 800-900 rpm. Changing the IAC will definatly solve your problem. :yes
im glad you f'n said that man. my **** has been botherin me since i got it with that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
To elaborate on this a bit for you, don't bother messing with the IAC yourself, a little pin inside gets stuck sometimes and this causes the surging rpms. It's not something you can fix, it has to be replaced. Because you are going through ford it's going to be pricey mine was about $300 for the part and install, but you could always just order it and do it yourself. I just dropped my car there and let them mess with it so if it didn't fix the problem they wouldn't charge me anything.:D By the way get some gas! lol I never let mine get lower then a 1/4 tank incase there is buildup in there at the bottom, also I wish radio stations here played some STP once in a while!:p
+1 mine does the same thing, i tried to clean it but there was no change.:mad: just haven't had the money for the new one yet with christmas coming and all.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My idle is SOLID without the AC though... It doesn't budge at all when there is no AC. That's what I'm not getting.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My idle is SOLID without the AC though... It doesn't budge at all when there is no AC. That's what I'm not getting.
mine does that **** too, mine is tuned so it idles at about 900 but when i turn on the air or def it will bog down to 500 and then back to 900 its almost like the compressor is locking up.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah exactly, but see when I took the video after the car was warmed up it ran fine... It was doing this only on a cold start.

Blowin my mind man

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Mine does that too. It'll drop to like 600rpm. Then go back up to like 900rpm. I heard Stone Temple Pilots near the end...awsome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts