Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed an odd popping noise coming from the front suspension tonight. It is way to inconsistent to pin a time when it happens. I seem to notice it more at lower speeds. However, that could be due to the lower road noise.

I recently had X2 Balljoints and a Bumpsteer kit installed (2 months ago). The tech (friend) mentioned he felt like one of the ball joints went in to easy which suggested the need for a new A-Arm.

It also seems to make the noise when turning.

Suggestions on where to begin?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
A failing balljoint will typically cause popping when turning and at low speeds. Get the car up in the air (jackstands or a lift) and start inspecting.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If thats the case I am not gonna be happy, as these are new Steeda X2s.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
I'll come help out tomorrow once I get back.

Edit:never mind it'll already be dark. But if you need help just lemme know. I live maybe a quarter mile from you :lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its kind of hard for me to do much here at the apartment. Not sure how they would feel about me putting my car on jack stands out there.

Here in a month I have to take the car in to get an exhaust leak fixed. I'm probably just going to get the same shop take an overall look at the new parts on the front suspension, see if there's any issues, fix em, and do a new alignment.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So tonight I noticed something else...

When getting out of the car, you hear the popping noise from the passenger side. It's almost as if the shifting of weight causes it to make the noises.

Still sound like a ball joint? I just hope it holds until I have the funds to fix it.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
:eek: You're still driving it? Your apartment complex might get upset if you tear the car apart there, but at least jack the car up and see what's going on.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't really have a choice in some situations lol.

I'm cutting down to when its necessary however.

I don't even have a jack at my apartment yet.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend can get me a used A-Arm for $40... gonna grab it and get it installed soon. When the shop checks it out I may not need it, but I can always resell it or keep it for other problems later down the road.

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
That doesn't sound good at all. I am inclined to lean towards the balljoint being bad as well. It could possibly be the strut, but more likely not. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
I'm getting something similar. Not really a pop noise, per se, but like, a really weird rattling thumpy sound when I hit any bumps. Can really hear it going slow. Almost like something is shaking loose? I can't see anything loose though... All in the front end

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'm getting something similar. Not really a pop noise, per se, but like, a really weird rattling thumpy sound when I hit any bumps. Can really hear it going slow. Almost like something is shaking loose? I can't see anything loose though... All in the front end
The first thing that springs to mind from that description is swaybar endlinks.

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
The first thing that springs to mind from that description is swaybar endlinks.
I'll have to give those a check when the weather clears up a bit and I can get under her. I hate not having a garage :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts