Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured since it was brought up again this thread could have a short life.

Keep in mind - OPSEC

Please use this thread to:
Ask veterans military related questions
Ask current members about how their Branch/MOS is
Changing bases? Maybe someone here has been there, fire away!
Need help with learning how to fill out an unclassified form? Ask away or find someone to PM here.
Basic questions that your idiot supervisor doesn't have an answer to? Maybe there's a smartie here.
etc.etc.etc.

Start out with Branch, Rank, Job and Duty Station if you want.

USAF
SrA
Services
Current Station - Davis Monthan AFB- Az
Previous Station - n/a

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Army
Spc/E-4
Airframe Structural Repairer (Sheetmetal/Composite worker)
Current Station: Fort Drum, NY
No Previous Station

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Iraq Veteran/honorably discharged
Corporal/E-4
Water support/1171
USMC
Stationed in New River, North Carolina/ Camp Lejeune area

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
this thread sure did explode considering so many people rallied for an entire subforum dedicated to military talk... lol

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
General Chief Dude
Rainbow Military
Formerly Head Package Inspector
Stationed at Fort Rainbow

:shiftyeyes

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Military Budget Includes 6% BAH Cut, 1% Pay Raise | Military.com

So it looks like our raise will drop to 1% from 2015-2017 then in 2018 it will raise to 1.5% then back fully to 1.8% in 2019. The real question is, will this also affect the tax deductions? Each year that the 1.8% raise increases i also have a similar rise in tax deduction meaning that my deductions rise 1.8%. So now if I only receive a 1% pay raise, will I only have 1% more of my taxes deducted, because this could start affecting my pay adversely and making me LOSE money per month.

a good example is a takeaway from the article...
With two years' worth of pay caps and the 5 percent housing-cut proposal, an Army sergeant with 10 years of service and a family of four would lose $1,400 a year, while an Army captain would lose $2,100 by the end of fiscal 2015, according to the association.
However the BAH cut might seem permanent, meaning those military families already on hard times will be even worse off when making ends meet provided they had to PCS.

And how much does this save us? How much does this put back into the debt? nearly nothing... We could barely buy one more shitty broken on delivery F35 for all this... Pentagon estimated 3.8 billion over the 5 years. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to annual budget for military expenditures!
I would rather see a reform on the military spending policy so that squadrons don't need to hoard useless items for years and years just to keep the last years budget. Make it a living budget, one year might spend less than the previous however the next year might need half the building to be gutted with new stuff that all broke. Don't force squadrons to buy thousands of dollars of **** they will never touch just to keep it next year just in case they actually do need it!

Anyway, done rambling on... Agree or not, keep debates civil.

this thread sure did explode considering so many people rallied for an entire subforum dedicated to military talk... lol
Well, we tried. I mean I did say "this thread could have a short life." :p

General Chief Dude
Rainbow Military
Formerly Head Package Inspector
Stationed at Fort Rainbow

:shiftyeyes
Seems legit. :screwy:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Military Budget Includes 6% BAH Cut, 1% Pay Raise | Military.com

So it looks like our raise will drop to 1% from 2015-2017 then in 2018 it will raise to 1.5% then back fully to 1.8% in 2019. The real question is, will this also affect the tax deductions? Each year that the 1.8% raise increases i also have a similar rise in tax deduction meaning that my deductions rise 1.8%. So now if I only receive a 1% pay raise, will I only have 1% more of my taxes deducted, because this could start affecting my pay adversely and making me LOSE money per month.

a good example is a takeaway from the article...

However the BAH cut might seem permanent, meaning those military families already on hard times will be even worse off when making ends meet provided they had to PCS.

And how much does this save us? How much does this put back into the debt? nearly nothing... We could barely buy one more shitty broken on delivery F35 for all this... Pentagon estimated 3.8 billion over the 5 years. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to annual budget for military expenditures!
I would rather see a reform on the military spending policy so that squadrons don't need to hoard useless items for years and years just to keep the last years budget. Make it a living budget, one year might spend less than the previous however the next year might need half the building to be gutted with new stuff that all broke. Don't force squadrons to buy thousands of dollars of **** they will never touch just to keep it next year just in case they actually do need it!

Anyway, done rambling on... Agree or not, keep debates civil.

Well, we tried. I mean I did say "this thread could have a short life." :p

Seems legit. :screwy:
I keep up with all this stuff and it infuriates me. These scum bag politicians are always looking to get money back except from themselves and their friends. I've heard talks about switiching over the retirement of vets over to 401k's from what it is now. Also there are talks about taking away sea pay, hazardous duty pay, bah, bas, etc.
The men and women, regardless of their job, are out there defending our rights and our freedom and all these politicians want to do is to take money away from them. They volunteer for these jobs in order to make themselves better, protect our country, and provide for their families and they want to take all of those benefits away. Ridiculous.
I had a buddy who was used to live across the street from me and served 15 years in the Navy. Didnt hit tenure but due to govt spending cutbacks, his rate being overmanned, etc. he was forced to resign from the Navy. He was given a severence package which wasnt **** and basically told to "go on his merry way". In my area alone there was thousands that were effected and same results happened to them. They werent offered the ability to cross rate into and undermanned billet or anything. Just go. My neighbor ended up homeless as his wife was a stay at home mom for a majority of their time together and when times got rough she left him with the kids, house went into foreclosure, and this was with both of them working two jobs. Sad to say that I dont know what happened to him after all of it. He crashed at my place a couple of times and then one day just never saw him again.END RANT

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My pay in Afghanistan? Maybe like $2600 a month with all the extras. So if I were to have spent a year there I would have made $31k. The civilian guys doing the same job as me except not dealing with all the military BS, watching movies when there wasnt work, got paid $100k a year starting, then got a raise to I think $145k a year because their company got switched over to a different one.

Government has the money to pay civilians outrageous amounts of money but cant give us that .5%? :screwy: Though I guess I cant ever see a difference each year with that 1.5% change, paycheck only changes by some change.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
My pay in Afghanistan? Maybe like $2600 a month with all the extras. So if I were to have spent a year there I would have made $31k. The civilian guys doing the same job as me except not dealing with all the military BS, watching movies when there wasnt work, got paid $100k a year starting, then got a raise to I think $145k a year because their company got switched over to a different one.

Government has the money to pay civilians outrageous amounts of money but cant give us that .5%? :screwy: Though I guess I cant ever see a difference each year with that 1.5% change, paycheck only changes by some change.
Exactly. My buddy was there when I was there except he was doing telecom with a govt contracting company. He would go into green zones and said up satcom units. 6 mos of working was equal to about 150K. No patroling, no duty, no getting shot at, stayed in occupied hotels, hot meals, hot showers, etc. Im not mad at him by any means but its rediculous the amount we spend on certain things. I could remember ordering supplies at one point in my career and seeing that a torque wrench was about $500 non digital. Granted that in order to keep the same budget for the next year, as mentioned above, you have to go ahead and use it all up or risk having a lower budget for the next year when you may actually need all of it.

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
Only a one percent raise yet a six percent bah cut? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'm going to lose money. First they take away my hazardous duty and hostile fire pay, now this? They're really trying to **** the wrong people here, but since most of us have no say, they find is an easy target.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Only a one percent raise yet a six percent bah cut? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'm going to lose money. First they take away my hazardous duty and hostile fire pay, now this? They're really trying to **** the wrong people here, but since most of us have no say, they find is an easy target.
I didnt even know that the cuts were already in effect. Sorry to hear it bud. Our men and women serving, or who have served, are getting screwed over in a major way.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I feel like my tax exemption while deployed is gonna be going away here soon
There has been talks for a couple of years now about that very subject.

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, but the worst part is all this reduction in pay is moot. So they save 3 billion dollars over 5 years. By itself it's a big number...

but...

Compared to the annual 700 Billion the U.S. spends on military budgets; that's nothing. 3 trillion 500 billion dollars later we manage to save 3 billion dollars by paying our troops like ****... :baller:

1 - 20 of 212 Posts