Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do so many people get away with running offroad X (or H) pipes in emission controlled states? It seems like 95% of people have offroad pipes. Is it something that is very noticeable (sound-wise) that a cop could tell its offroad, or is it more of just a difference in tone? And is there any hp differences from restrictions, even with high flow cats? I want to get longtubes, but that means I also have to get a short x pipe but catted x pipes are so much more expensive than offroad ones. What do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
getting away with catless mid pipes depends on the emmission testing in your area & the local police.

the fact is most police officers wouln't care though.

as to the sound, it will be considerably louder with an off road mid pipe.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
yea depends how strict police are in your area, i got away with it for 3 years till i got pulled over n they had me pop my hood. cali is very strict on emissions but 9 out of 10 stangs are running catless here. our smog is every 2 years so i just pop it off and put it back on when that time comes around

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
So is sound the only difference between catted and o/r or is there any power difference?
thers a small power gain (5 hp max) vs high flow cats.
reality is most people do exhaust mods for sound.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would popping the hood have anything to do with an x pipe? And if I'm going to have 2, 1 to put on for testing, I'd rather just keep the catted one on. My car is pretty loud now with the catted BBK X pipe and flowmaster super 44's. It just sucks that I have to get another X pipe.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And one more note, I like how catted X pipes sound. I think offroad ones are a little obnoxious, especially when you let off the gas and get that loud, *idk what you call it* sound. It just sounds blatty and not as deep and rich imo than a catted one. If only catted pipes weren't so damn expensive... And NOBODY is sellin anything on here or craigslist that I want haha. (LT's and catted X). Seems like Im gonna be forced to buy everything new...

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
On my 01 gt I went from the stock 6 cats to a bassani O/R X and it was night and day. But highflow cats really don't hurt that much.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Why would popping the hood have anything to do with an x pipe? And if I'm going to have 2, 1 to put on for testing, I'd rather just keep the catted one on. My car is pretty loud now with the catted BBK X pipe and flowmaster super 44's. It just sucks that I have to get another X pipe.
oh lol cuz i was goiing over the limit n he asked about my cats cuz my car was too ''loud'' lol n then asked about if the car was modded :D let me off with a warning only :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
And one more note, I like how catted X pipes sound. I think offroad ones are a little obnoxious, especially when you let off the gas and get that loud, *idk what you call it* sound. It just sounds blatty and not as deep and rich imo than a catted one. If only catted pipes weren't so damn expensive... And NOBODY is sellin anything on here or craigslist that I want haha. (LT's and catted X). Seems like Im gonna be forced to buy everything new...
get an o/r h pipe if u dont like it really loud

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
if you think the car is loud now then mabie you should stick with cats.

as to the sound problem (ie. popping, rattling, raspy, ricer, etc) it's an x-pipe thing, you wouln't have that with an h-pipe

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh lol cuz i was goiing over the limit n he asked about my cats cuz my car was too ''loud'' lol n then asked about if the car was modded :D let me off with a warning only :cool:
haha nice.

And 1_nice_03_gt, its not just about sound, but the legality. I could prob find someone to just get me an inspection sticker, but for the sound, I still dont want it TOO loud/obnoxious/raspy etc. What do you guys think about a prochamber?

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you think the car is loud now then mabie you should stick with cats.

as to the sound problem (ie. popping, rattling, raspy, ricer, etc) it's an x-pipe thing, you wouln't have that with an h-pipe
I just said my car was loud. Not too loud haha. Won't I lose a little hp up top with an H pipe as opposed to an X pipe?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I just said my car was loud. Not too loud haha. Won't I lose a little hp up top with an H pipe as opposed to an X pipe?
a little mabie as in 1.

like I said above, exhaust doesn't give you much, its more about sound than anything.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I hear ya casper. Here's a good video of what I was talkin about with the raspy obnoxious let-off noise and I guess you're right, it's not there with the H pipe:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
mine used to sound like the second one :( stupid cops n laws lol

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
The raspiness has a lot to do with the catback too. I have magnaflows and its not raspy at all. Mines a BBK o/r X with regular magnaflows and it has a nice tone to it. Its not raspy at all. Heres a video

In car:

Ignore my friends retarded comment lol.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, I mean I know it's not as loud as others on here, but it certainly isn't quiet.

And sorry about the wind noise. I'll take a better video eventually.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts