Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im may not get a clear answer to this but I will shoot anyway. Situation my car and the truck gets the oildchange in the garage at about the same time but one thing I noticed is like now on my car the oil has about 2800 miles on it and the color is still kinda light brown not even close to dark yet and part of its miles are from playing around town and a few passes on the track and the blower uses the engine oil too the oil thats always been it is motorcraft syn blend. Now on the truck it has about 2600 miles on it and the oil is almost on the very dark side and the truck is used by the wife to nd from work no play in it and hasnt been to the track since 2009 so no track use on the oil and its fairly stock besides a catback the oil use is mobile1 synthetic. Question is why does the oil breakdown on the mustang seem to be alot slower than the breakdown of the oil on the truck when the car is driven hard alot more often than the truck both using quality oils. Any info will help im just curious. Car 03 mustang Gt v1 s trim, Truck 06 Trailblazer SS catback.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I don't believe oil breakdown causing the color change. Synthetic oils are supposed to break down a lot slower than regular oil or synthetic blends. The Mustang oil appears to have less contaminates in it. The truck's synthetic oil is supposed to suspend the particles better than regular oil or synthetic blend. Are the oil filters the same? It may be that the oil filter on the Mustang may be removing the particles better than the filter on the truck. Otherwise, I'd just conclude that the truck just has a dirtier motor than the Mustang.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok gotcha the stang has a motorcraft filter I forget the name of the one used on the truck but we did get that truck with like 60,000+ miles on it already no telling what its been through Ive had that car since 05 with 8,000miles on it bone stock. So maybe its just the unknown history of the motor on tha truck.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
How about a difference in driving, is her driving more stop and go compared to yours. Is the Mustang a daily driver, and if so who has the longer drive to work each day.

There are so many variables when comparing one engine make to another engine make.

To do it properly you would need to use the exact same oil and oil filter.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a difference in driving, is her driving more stop and go compared to yours. Is the Mustang a daily driver, and if so who has the longer drive to work each day.

There are so many variables when comparing one engine make to another engine make.

To do it properly you would need to use the exact same oil and oil filter.
I may dothat the next go round. her trip to work is mainly stop and go and yes its a DD. Mine is driven about 4 times a week stop and go with a bit of playing around. asfar as the engine makes true i didnt think about that bc its said to be normay for that ls engine to run a bit hotter on the daily that the mod motor.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Shoot a sample of your oils over to blackstone labs and they can tell you all kinds of fun things about what's going on inside your engines.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoot a sample of your oils over to blackstone labs and they can tell you all kinds of fun things about what's going on inside your engines.
Never thought of that even though it use to be part of my job to turn in oil samples on our trucks at work. Gotcha.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i've used Blackstone Labs for years on all my personal vehicles. i now change oil based on the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, (not the oil change place), which is 7500 miles. there is very very little additional "wear" at 7500 than there is at 3000 for my vehicles.
Also, synthetic oil, additives, etc. are a waste of money. they doesn't decrease wear at all. believe me, i've tried everything over many years with many vehicles. with that being said, i do run synthetic in my Saleen only because i'll hit 300 degrees oil temp at the race track. that's the ONLY reason to run it.
anyway, take it for what it's worth. i'd just suggest doing a little experimenting yourself using the data from Blackstone and come up with your own conclusions.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i've used Blackstone Labs for years on all my personal vehicles. i now change oil based on the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, (not the oil change place), which is 7500 miles. there is very very little additional "wear" at 7500 than there is at 3000 for my vehicles.
Also, synthetic oil, additives, etc. are a waste of money. they doesn't decrease wear at all. believe me, i've tried everything over many years with many vehicles. with that being said, i do run synthetic in my Saleen only because i'll hit 300 degrees oil temp at the race track. that's the ONLY reason to run it.
anyway, take it for what it's worth. i'd just suggest doing a little experimenting yourself using the data from Blackstone and come up with your own conclusions.

Do you have any of blackstones reports to back up the claim of syn being useless?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not sure how one report would prove that. i'd be glad to send you some of mine but i think you need more data than that. and by the way, i don't think syn is useless, i just don't think you gain any additional anti-wear protection because by using it.

My suggestion would be to contact Blackstone directly. They've been a great source of information and can verify everything i've said with a lot more data. They're in Fort Wayne, IN and their phone number is 260-744-2380. they told me this years ago and i've experimented with synthetic and dino oils and different oil change intervals. now, based on my results, i just use petroleum based oil and go by the vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts