Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a few issues with my 87 and 93 octane tune from brenspeed. They checked the tunes and said it had to be something mechanical and suggested I clean my TB as it would be more sensitive to buildup with 93 octane fuel.

I could see this being true if the 87 octane tune worked properly, but the 87 tune is a DOG.

Example:

When going around a corner I clutch and downshift to second and then correct the rpm and let the clutch out and begin to accelerate. On the 87 tune, when I begin to accelerate I'm usually at 1500 rpm or so. As I depress the gas the car feels like the clutch is slipping as it accelerates to about 3k rpm. If I shift to third before that, its the same feeling until about 3k rpm.

However, shifting from 1st through all the gears results in normal acceleration.

The 93 octane tune wont even run, the car kills itself as soon as I let off the gas.

I could SEE it being some sort of buildup on the TB IF the 91 octane tune didn't work FLAWLESSLY. No issues on this tune whatsoever.

Is it just random that this tune chooses to work fine, or do you really think that cleaning my TB will clear up the problem on both the higher octane and lower octane tunes?

The only reason I ask is because with less than 4k miles on the car and I cleaned the TB when I put the CAI on less than 2k miles ago....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what that is?

Can you explain?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
well, if oil buildup really is your problem, then your PCV system (which routes crank case gases back into your intake) is what is causing this. a breather setup removes all the PCV components and replaces them with filters which just release the crank case gasses into the atmosphere.

but the way you explain kind of makes it sound like its a tune issue. i suggest you take off your CAI and check for oil on the butterfly. if there's oil, then go with a breather setup. someone on this forum has the parts list necessary to do this setup. i'm sure they'll chime in.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
you could try cleaning the TB and see if it fixes your problem

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, so besides that system there really isn't any other way to prevent oil buildup on your TB?

Its late right now, but tomorrow I plan on taking it off and cleaning it (checking for oil anyways).

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I appreciate it. I guess if I find oil I might just have to go that route.

Is it expensive?

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
not expensive. but that's relative... some of us are poor

good luck.

and that's the only way i know of that oil could possibly even reach your TB

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
not expensive. you can get the K&N breathers for $20 each, the oil filler breather was about 50. there is also a catch can or an oil separator system that is a little more expensive but not more than 100-200 bucks.

but exactly what does the "feels like my clutch is slipping" mean?
are your rpms climbing but your not moving fast, or you just dont have power in that rpm range when you down shift?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

What it really feels like is the rpms are climbing but there is no real power. The car also gets "jerky" like the clutch is slipping...like its grabbing and letting go really fast. Its almost like you're rapidly hitting the brakes and letting go.

I thought it was a tune issue because the 93 kills the car (if oil on the TB I can see this being the issue here) but on the 87 with a little 91 still left in the tank? then burned down to less than 5 miles left and fill her up and still the same issues?

I reflashed the tune initially and the idle stopped throttling up and down randomly, but the power disappearing on downshifts was just incurable.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Have you checked the TB for oil buildup? I have a hard time believing that is causing your problem. I'd start there first. If not, I'd order a tune from someone else and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet, I'm back at my apartment now and I dont have any tools here (yea not even the basic ones!) as I'm moving into a new house. I'll have to drive over to the new house and grab a screw driver tomorrow to check.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You are having a tune issue. It will run on the 87 tune and NOT the 93 tune; oil on the TB, if it was going to cause that problem, would cause it on both tunes. (the oil doesn't magically disappear when you load the 87 tune)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Been reading about a lot of this lately, but it really shouldn't be noticeable yet with only 4k miles on the clock. Sounds like you may be losing pressure somewhere, did you install your CAI? I'd check all your CAI fittings and clamps to make sure the intake tube is connected properly and all that jazz. If they look ok and nothing's loose, do what Nasty said and inspect your TB for excess buildup.

Also, and I'm not saying you did this, but I have heard of it, make sure you're using air filter oil for your air filter and not motor oil....

EDIT: Listen to Silver before you listen to me. But at least check your stuff to make sure it's alright. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll be sure to do those things.

I haven't re-oiled the air filter yet. Only 2k miles, I didn't think this had to be done that often. Should I do it fairly frequently?

TB-I'll check it for oil tomorrow after work.

Fittings on CAI- Yea, I installed it myself. It didn;'t take very long and everything went on well so I thought. My only concern was that I might have tightened it too much? Nothing cracked or felt like it was over-tightened, but could that be an issue? (hell, if I was that worried it might just be too loose and I'll check that too when I check the TB).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are having a tune issue. It will run on the 87 tune and NOT the 93 tune; oil on the TB, if it was going to cause that problem, would cause it on both tunes. (the oil doesn't magically disappear when you load the 87 tune)
I'm sooo thinking you're right, buuuuut I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and tomorrow after work check the TB for oil buildup. If it isn't there I'll pitch a little fit and order some delete plates lol! (then I get something I want AND they revise the tune anyways )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts