Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are 2 snapshots from datalogs I took back on June 20, 2009 and then today October 7, 2009.

I installed a DIY oil catch can about 1 month ago. I cleaned the intake (oil pooling near the back of it), throttle body, etc.

Before the install, my datalogs would always show timing spikes of 2-3 degrees during a WOT 3rd gear pull. After the install, no more spikes.

I believe the small pool of oil in the intake was being sucked up during WOT pulls and causing the timing spikes.

Burning oil can reduce octane ratings, cause knock, and blacken exhaust pipes (not to mention gumming up valves and pistons.)

Both datalogs were run on the same stretch of highway in 3rd gear from about 3400 RPM to 6000.

As you can see, there is no more timing spikes and the cool thing is, I used the timestamp of the datalogging software to compare how long it took to pull from 54 to 94 MPH using the exact starting and stopping RPM's to compare. In 3rd gear (from 3400 to 5960 RPM's) I have gained .5 seconds. I don't know how much of that can be contributed to the lack of oil being burned, but the conditions for the 2 datalogs were extremely similar and run on the same exact stretch of highway.

Reactions: DiMora

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hose and 90 deg. elbows bought at Napa for about $15
Moisture (oil) trap bought at Home Depot for about $20

The red hose is not standard heater hose. It's a higher grade, steel-reinforced hose so it won't collapse under vacuum when it gets hot. I left the brass filter element inside the trap because it helps reduce the airflow to stock volume. Without it, the intake sucks way too much air in at idle and i noticed my STFT's and LTFT's were compensating for the added air. The stock tube that runs from the valve cover to the intake plenum has a smaller orafice than the heater hose.

And......I know...... my engine compartment is dirty :mad: I live in AZ

Reactions: IronStomach

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I've got a Steeda oil separator and still get oil in the blower inlet. I need a good resolution for this and not breathers.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've got a Steeda oil separator and still get oil in the blower inlet. I need a good resolution for this and not breathers.
why not breathers?

i used to run a separator off ebay, exactly like the steeda one and exactly like ones you get from home depot. the problem with them is they dont trap all the oil bc it's so small and the pressure going thru it is too much for it to properly separate. a better separator, or a breather catch can is a better solution. breathers also work very well. i also used to run a moroso separator and ended up going with the breathers bc the look is neater and there is no way the oil is getting back into the intake with them.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hose and 90 deg. elbows bought at Napa for about $15
Moisture (oil) trap bought at Home Depot for about $20

The red hose is not standard heater hose. It's a higher grade, steel-reinforced hose so it won't collapse under vacuum when it gets hot. I left the brass filter element inside the trap because it helps reduce the airflow to stock volume. Without it, the intake sucks way too much air in at idle and i noticed my STFT's and LTFT's were compensating for the added air. The stock tube that runs from the valve cover to the intake plenum has a smaller orafice than the heater hose.

And......I know...... my engine compartment is dirty :mad: I live in AZ
That looks good, man. How long have you been running it? EDIT: I learned how to read, sorry. Still looks good. :)

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Awesome dude. I've been preaching this to people and it is nice to have some proof that my theories are correct. Though it is a one shot deal and other variable may be involved, I will refer to it whenver anyone asks me what the benefits are.

Reactions: IronStomach

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
why not breathers?

i used to run a separator off ebay, exactly like the steeda one and exactly like ones you get from home depot. the problem with them is they dont trap all the oil bc it's so small and the pressure going thru it is too much for it to properly separate. a better separator, or a breather catch can is a better solution. breathers also work very well. i also used to run a moroso separator and ended up going with the breathers bc the look is neater and there is no way the oil is getting back into the intake with them.
Do you have any pics of your breather setup?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Do you have any pics of your breather setup?
I would imagine it looks pretty much the same as Nasty's and Boss's and Stroker's breather setups.... Although the part about the better seperator issue got me thinking about why people with seperators still see oil in their intakes. Maybe a pic of a breather seperator is what you were asking for? :dunno

EDIT: like the one DiMora installed last month?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Awesome information. I think any blown car needs either a can or breathers. I've now seen three blowers that are freshly pulled, and ALL of them had a ton of oil in them and on the inter-cooler heat exchanger (no breathers or separator / catch cans used)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Awesome information. I think any blown car needs either a can or breathers. I've now seen three blowers that are freshly pulled, and ALL of them had a ton of oil in them and on the inter-cooler heat exchanger (no breathers or separator / catch cans used)
This thread got me thinking, my parents have a Mini Cooper S with a turbo and that thing has always sounded like it's knocking faintly, has a real dangerous lull from a stop and the tailpipes are soot black. Personally I agree that ever F/I car should have breathers or a good catch/can. But also every Mustang. :D

So thanks (and rep!) to Doc for datalogging and Nasty, Boss, Stroker and DiMora for doing the mod before me. :yes

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
You think Kenne Bell knows something since they provide one with their kit?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
This thread got me thinking, my parents have a Mini Cooper S with a turbo and that thing has always sounded like it's knocking faintly, has a real dangerous lull from a stop and the tailpipes are soot black. Personally I agree that ever F/I car should have breathers or a good catch/can. But also every Mustang. :D

So thanks (and rep!) to Doc for datalogging and Nasty, Boss, Stroker and DiMora for doing the mod before me. :yes
Every Mini Cooper S I've ever seen seemed like it was running really rich.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Every Mini Cooper S I've ever seen seemed like it was running really rich.
I test drove one of those several years back...an S model. I flogged that little car...what a blast.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
why not breathers?

I've had problems in the past with breathers dripping oil and stinking like oil. That's really the only reasons. I'd should probably get a good catch can and ditch the separator.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts