Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question is, is an oil change before winter storage actually necessary? Or is it another "recommended" thing to do by the oil companys as a way to sell more oil? The reason I ask, I run Mobil 1 with the mobil 1 filter and I have about 2000 on my current change. The car will probably be ready to go to winter storage next weekend and I hate to dump perfectly good oil down the drain for no good reason. I'm wondering if I really need to do it, or if its another gimmick by the oil companys to sell oil. For those that say I do need to do it, do you have a reason why?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think the oil seems fresh enough to last the winter. Especially if you're storing it inside.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I left the mobil 1 in last winter,car still runs.
But I had always heard the same thing about old oil and corroding of the seals.
I don't know if it's true but I did find an awful lot of information about it after a search. One person says yes another says no:spankit
I changed it this year though.
And everybody with a boat does the same thing too, Including me.:2cents

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
+1^ you pay 30k for a car, the least you can do is give it a 40 dollar oil change before letting it sit.

I'm a paranoid mothertrucker, and I don't consider this car as my DD, even though I use it as such. I certainly baby it, because I figure if I drive the piss out of it, the least I can do is go the extra mile.

So yes, I change my oil (and I run Mobil 1 as well) before storing it. Even if it only has 1000 miles on it.

Take care of your ride and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
some guy told me once that when you do your oil change before storage that you should put in some extra oil (like a bit more then what it would normally take) ....is this even true??

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
never put more oil than recomended in my opinion...and no you dont need to change it ....especially if its in a heated enviroment....but like zip said ...40 bucks? do it... then thats one less thing you have to do next spring when it comes out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll see. I sort of agree with the logic of spend $40 as good insurance. The only thing in my case worth mentioning is A) the car will be in a heated garage and B) it won't actually be TOTALLY away. If its clear and the ground is dry, I'm sure I'll still take it out. I bet on average once a week. So oil circulation/seals drying up shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some guy told me once that when you do your oil change before storage that you should put in some extra oil (like a bit more then what it would normally take) ....is this even true??
I definitely wouldn't overfill the car, its not good for the engine. Your friend was probably thinking some would seep out or get soaked up by gaskets, but I don't think its a good idea on a modern engine with modern seals, in particular if it doesn't leak.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Nope. Not for a newer vehicle. If you're talking a beater that leaks/burns oil, then maybe.

But over filling the crankcase is generally considered a bad idea, as crankcases build pressure, and over filling can lead to failed seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I definitely wouldn't overfill the car, its not good for the engine. Your friend was probably thinking some would seep out or get soaked up by gaskets, but I don't think its a good idea on a modern engine with modern seals, in particular if it doesn't leak.
that's probably what he forgot to mention lol thanks :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
We'll see. I sort of agree with the logic of spend $40 as good insurance. The only thing in my case worth mentioning is A) the car will be in a heated garage and B) it won't actually be TOTALLY away. If its clear and the ground is dry, I'm sure I'll still take it out. I bet on average once a week. So oil circulation/seals drying up shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input.
well if you put it that way, then no, you do not need to change it.

if it was not going to be driven until the spring at all, then yes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I always do an oil change before storing my mowers and motorcycles for winter. Motor oil builds up acids and water during use and I wouldn't want that sitting in my engine for several months during storage - but that's just me. :no

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I always do an oil change before storing my mowers and motorcycles for winter. Motor oil builds up acids and water during use and I wouldn't want that sitting in my engine for several months during storage - but that's just me. :no
Do you change it before driving as well?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just bought 1,200 shares of Exxon (Mobile 1). I'd change it. :) I'd change it twice. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't normally change it before it goes into storage but I do change it when it comes out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't normally change it before it goes into storage but I do change it when it comes out.
Same here....I have stored mine every winter since purchasing it new.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
If you have ever broken down a motor that's sat for any length of time, you'd change your oil far more often than you do - period.

Is it necessary, no. Is it a smart cheap investment, yup. Someone already mentioned the contaminents in the oil. Those contaminents are not just sitting in the pan. They are on the cylinder walls, up in the oil gallies, everywhere.

Owning a boat, and seeing how toxic oil gets in that environment, I just don't mess around. Especially here in the Chicago burbs, our weather has been so mild we are seeing 25-30 degree temperature swings from day to nite and then back. Anyone every seen how much condensation forms on a cylinder wall with broken down dirty oil as the sole protector? If it happens on the top half of the bore slight pitting is likely and then in the spring when you fire the car up your pretty little rings run across that ****. Now we have slight oil blow by, tendency to smoke a little.

Is it an extreme example, sure is, but it's authentic. Most of us will have these cars for more than 5 years, 3-4 years of storage in an environment with decent temp swings in the front or back of the winter months is going to see this type of issue if the oil is left in any sort of poor condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts