Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear lord I am such a newb. In preparation of doing most of the mods on my Mustang myself I taught myself how to change the oil in my car tonight. Please get your laughing out of the way now, I just never decided to try with my old cars. That's obviously changed now and it was a lot of fun. While I had the front up on ramps (another first!) I caught myself planning future mods. :D

So... Wahoo! First ever oil change - I am now ready to call myself a man. Lol.

But, I realize there may be another person on here who hasn't changed their oil and want to part with a lesson I learned tonight: Make sure your oil drain pan's drain plug is removed. Please don't laugh, I wouldn't have thought the dimwits who designed an oil drian pan would have plugged the damn thing to begin with. Should have tested it, oh well.

This is the result:

And the cuplrit is that stupid green plastic plug to the left of the oil filter:

Speaking of oil filter... that damn thing certainly was on tight! You can see how damaged the used oil filter is from the filter jaws I bought in preperation for this:

I thought I was turning the OEM oil filter the wrong way, but kept at it. I was laying on my back pushing the handle on the filter jaws and also pushing with my left hand on a big metal rod I have yet to learn the function of (but will shortly!)

If anyone asks, I used Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic with the Mobil 1 M1-210 oil filter. The oil was $22/ 5 quarts at Walmart and the filter was $10. Ramps were $40, chocks were $4, drain pan was $6, et cetera, et cetera. Lessons learned and confidence gained: priceless. Damn oil....

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Just make sure next time that you change the oil when the car hasn't been run (cold), for better drainage of all the old junk. Also put oil around the rims of the oil filter and the cars drain plug.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
also after you change the oil run your engine for a couple minutes then stop it and wait for a couple more minutes and check your oil again.
I always have to put 6 quarts of oil in mine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Do not drain your oil with a cold engine!!!! Run it around the block first.It will get all the debris that may be in the engine,also warm oil drains faster,and flushes all the nasty **** out.....:yes

·
Registered
161 Posts
I read an article last week about the oil filters for the 3V 4.6 & 5.4L Fords. It said that only three brands use a teflon coated drain back valve in the filter. Ford Motorcraft/Motorsport, Carquest HP and WIX (they actually make the Ford & Carquest HP brand filters). These drain back valves are extremely important to the life of the engine. They cut appart four different brands of filters and found two of the filters had the valves stuck in a 1/2 open position after 2K miles. I showed the article to my dealer and he showed me a tech bulletin about the same issue. They only use Motorcraft now.

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
Do not drain your oil with a cold engine!!!! Run it around the block first.It will get all the debris that may be in the engine,also warm oil drains faster,and flushes all the nasty **** out.....:yes
+1 warm oil running down your arm wount hurt...the engine that is. lol but seriously run the engine for about 10min befor an oil change so it can get all the resting/sitting gunk mixed in with the old oil and then drain it. Ive been changing oil in all my cars and my friends n fams cars since i was 13 my 1st oil change was on a 91 jeep and i kinda drained the tranny fluid thinking it was the engine. I looked up n asked my step dad "is oil supposed to be red?" :lmao funny chit!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, no I used someone's how-to - Awesome points though.

The oil was nicely between warm and hot.... The only reason there's so much oil on the ground was the stuff was too hot by the time the top part of the drain pan was almost full. Couldn't keep my hand submerged for more than 3 seconds at a time to unscrew the damn plug.

97Cobra - that's funny, glad the internet's got useful stuff like how-to's these days or I woulda probably drained the transmission as well.

07GTCONV - thanks for the info on the filters, good to know, I'll have to buy a box of the FRPP ones before my next oil change

·
Registered
743 Posts
Good stuff Efyl...I changed mine the other day for the first time in many years...I am standing back all proud and everything until I see oil running down the driveway. Forgot that when the oil first comes out its a powerful stream but as it slows you got to move the oil pan....DUH on my part

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some of the reasons you have all recited is the reason I don't do my own. And I'm fricken lazy to boot!:D Good read Efyl, I need a laugh like this (4 weeks straight on 12 hours shifts, 7 days a week):love. Come to think of it, I may have to do mine next week just to see if I still have it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
lol..its ok man happens to the best of us....

but after working in a shop for six months while at school...this has never happened to me *knocks on wood* but ALWAYS check that the old oil filter oring come with the oil filter and didnt say on the block....seen it happen many times...talk about a big mess...oil goes everywhere..im not just talking baout on the ground im talking all over the under side of your car...

just alittle tip for u next time you change your oil....

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I always use motorcraft filters personally as I figure ford knows what their motors need. Good choive on the oil though. That is what I run in mine. The reason they put a plug in the drain pan ( on the top ) is so that once you change your oil you put the plug in to transport it to your local autozone ( or whatever you use ) to get rid of it. That way you dont have to pour it into another container to take it over there. Glad to hear you had fun with it. I always liked changing my own oil. But then agian I anal about let anyone other then me drive my car.

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
Ah, no I used someone's how-to - Awesome points though.

The oil was nicely between warm and hot.... The only reason there's so much oil on the ground was the stuff was too hot by the time the top part of the drain pan was almost full. Couldn't keep my hand submerged for more than 3 seconds at a time to unscrew the damn plug.

97Cobra - that's funny, glad the internet's got useful stuff like how-to's these days or I woulda probably drained the transmission as well.

07GTCONV - thanks for the info on the filters, good to know, I'll have to buy a box of the FRPP ones before my next oil change
nah its a rare thing to have a drain plug on the tranny on most cars so youd be safe. :lol

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol..its ok man happens to the best of us....

but after working in a shop for six months while at school...this has never happened to me *knocks on wood* but ALWAYS check that the old oil filter oring come with the oil filter and didnt say on the block....seen it happen many times...talk about a big mess...oil goes everywhere..im not just talking baout on the ground im talking all over the under side of your car...

just alittle tip for u next time you change your oil....
Heh, I definitely checked for that, I think it was 1FastFox who had that experience from the dealer?

but after working in a shop for six months while at school...
heh, yeah, I can cook a mean, homemade, deep-dish pizza but never changed my oil... the consequences of working at a Little Ceasar's Pizza and Blockbuster while in high school instead of someplace useful. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone asks, I used Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic with the Mobil 1 M1-210 oil filter. The oil was $22/ 5 quarts at Walmart and the filter was $10. Ramps were $40, chocks were $4, drain pan was $6, et cetera, et cetera. Lessons learned and confidence gained: priceless. Damn oil....

How much was the 6th quart of oil your motor requires?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much was the 6th quart of oil your motor requires?
It was 1/5 the price of the second 5-quart bottle of Mobil 1 I bought. :p So that was $4.40 before tax. Total for all 6 quarts was $26.40 + tax.

I didn't post my experience as a complete how-to/write-up, sorry for any confusion there. I used someone else's extremely thorough writeup on oil changing for new oil changers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts