Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my car in to the dealership every 3000 miles to get an oil change but this is going to be the first time that I take it in with a tune installed. Because of my mods I cannot put my computer back to stock. Should I tell them that I have a tune on the car so they dont do anyting with the computer? Also I cant do the oil change myself. I am no allowed to at my house. So that cannot be an option. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
why aren't you allowed to change your own oil?

just take your car down the road to walmart, park out in the back of the parking lot, bring all your tools, lay a blanket down, and do it there

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
They shouldn't be touching your computer to do a simple oil change.
Tell them anyway just to be safe I guess.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
why aren't you allowed to change your own oil?

just take your car down the road to walmart, park out in the back of the parking lot, bring all your tools, lay a blanket down, and do it there

I just take mine to Advance auto if I don't have the time... :lol

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never though about going somewhere else to do it. Thats a good idea. I still live at home unfortunatley and my dad is really obsessed about our drive way and if any oil gets on it then he flips out. So that is why I cant do it at home.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You could either take it to the dealership or anywhere else to get it done. They shouldn't do anything to the computer for an oil change, takes extra time to do that and time is money. I take my car to my dealership all the time for all kinds of stuff, they've never tuned it back to stock or said anything to me about my mods.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could either take it to the dealership or anywhere else to get it done. They shouldn't do anything to the computer for an oil change, takes extra time to do that and time is money. I take my car to my dealership all the time for all kinds of stuff, they've never tuned it back to stock or said anything to me about my mods.
Ok, Thats good. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
what are you worried about your powertrain warrenty or what? if there is a software update for your car, and they flash it, they will never know about your tune till they start the car. they'll just overright it.... i guess what im trying to say is this: if you modify your car and want you warrenty legit, stay away from the dealership. if your dad makes you take it to the dealership, better get in good with one of the techs that will understand your "situation" just my .2c FWIW

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are you worried about your powertrain warrenty or what? if there is a software update for your car, and they flash it, they will never know about your tune till they start the car. they'll just overright it.... i guess what im trying to say is this: if you modify your car and want you warrenty legit, stay away from the dealership. if your dad makes you take it to the dealership, better get in good with one of the techs that will understand your "situation" just my .2c FWIW
No I am not worried about the warranty, what i am worried about is that when I take my car to get an oil change or maybe something else and they reflash my computer not knowing it has a custom tune and then it wont start or ir does more damage to the computer or something.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
oh then dont sweat it... they dont care im sure.. they're probably jealous!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
pretty much what's said above, either find a place to do it yourself, or go to someplace besides the dealership to get it done. I just had mine done at a local shop, they loved changing the oil, took em 45 minutes cuz they sat there and stared at the engine for a good 15 minutes talkin about it, lol. They were real nice about it, and I was able to keep a good eye on them while they worked, so I know nothing was messed up. I'd do it myself if not for the weather.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There should be no reason the dealer would reflash the computer when doing a simple oil change. It's not like reflashing the BIOS of a home PC that only takes a couple seconds and a reboot. It's a bit time consuming to reflash the car's computer, and as mentioned earlier, time is money. Of course, there's always the good suggestion of going elsewhere to do it yourself.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Do you think having them work on something under the hood with a supercharger might raise some questions.... I hope I never have to find out..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Okay from all that I know here's how the warranty bullshit works: Any and all parts installed on the car by anyone other than the Stealer-errr-Dealership will not be covered in your existing warranty. Some assholes also enforce that even if you had the dealership install the parts that if the parts weren't ordered through the dealership than they will not warranty the installation. Onto the tune that you have installed. Two things you have to worry about.

First and foremost I WOULD NOT TELL THEM about the tune you installed because you are then liable to have your entire insurance policy dropped because of bullshit about how the stock parts are designed to hold up to the stock tune and if you change that and something breaks it's not Fords fault and you have to cover the cost. The second thing (though highly unlikely that they will reflash your computer for an oil change) is that IF they somehow decide a reflash is necessary, you need to check the coding on your tune and the stock one they just reflashed into your car. My memory fades a bit on me but there is something about if on the lines of coding the end letters change (though it might be a specific line or some other) your cars computer is now only going to run a tune that ends in that letter. For example, your tunes code is 00341G and they reflash it to be 00242A, the computer will not be able to run the code 00341G but would be able to run 00341A......SO if you notice a difference in the coding what you need to do is get a new tune for your tuner and then upload that into your car or else when you install the old tune your car won't be able to start and you'll be really ****ed. My advice is Jiffy Lube was invented for a reason.....I'd say that's like my .25cents

·
Registered
92 Posts
they have absolutly no business doing anything other than what you request of them. htats why we have laywers. and quite a bit too many i might add

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
They dont do anything to the computer when they change the oil. But your better off telling them just in case. But unless you go to some weird ass dealership or something they wont taouch any settings

·
Registered
543 Posts
yeah but even though we have lawyers you voided the warranty regardless of how they found out since they specifically tell you when you buy the car what all will constitute voiding your warranty and you went ahead and did it anyway and tried to act as though you hadn't voided it etc... I'd take my chances not telling them and just taking it to jiffy lube

1 - 20 of 22 Posts