Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Ford Oil cooler for my car. I road race about once a month, my main goal is to make the motor last longer. I've never had overheating problems, even though I do rely on stock gauges, the coolant has never gone above operating range and the oil pressure has always stayed the same.

Now some people are telling me that running oil at a cooler temp than the rest of the motor is going to cause more wear... Is this true? Is anyone using an oil cooler on here? Any thoughts on this?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I dont know what you mean by running the oil at a cooler temp then the rest of the motor, it should bring the overall temp down. The oil weight is designed to operate in a certain temperature range. It would be unlikely that an oil cooler would cool the oil to a temp below the operating temp. If i were you Id get a good Oil temp gage and see where you at. No sense in gettin the oil cooler if you temps are normal, You engine wont last any longer with the cooler. It would only wear faster if it were overheating.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I bought a Ford Oil cooler for my car. I road race about once a month, my main goal is to make the motor last longer. I've never had overheating problems, even though I do rely on stock gauges, the coolant has never gone above operating range and the oil pressure has always stayed the same.

Now some people are telling me that running oil at a cooler temp than the rest of the motor is going to cause more wear... Is this true? Is anyone using an oil cooler on here? Any thoughts on this?
Who ever told you that is full of it. I'd install a set of mechanical gauges and moniter your temps at the track so you can make an intelligent decision about your cooling system. The stock electrical gauges are worthless in terms of knowing exactly what your motor is doing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a track even this weekend...so i need to make a decision now.

I also got a 160° thermostat, so its running a lot cooler...or is 160 too much?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
160 is too much.... especially when it gets cold... stick with the 180

·
Registered
852 Posts
instead of a oil cooler wouldnt it be better and cheaper just to get a oil catch can. Anyone actually use or installed one? Ive thought about it and debated.

·
Registered
748 Posts
enigne oil is another way the engine dissipates its heat. thus cooling the oil is a good idea. no different than when one runs 2 oil coolers on a HD truck. its too keep the oil temp consistent and low so that it wont bake when under extreme load, or use, etc. you can get away with a 160 bc youre in texas. in Md i shouldnt do less than a 180, if a chage is even a smart idea. i wouldnt heat up for **** in the winter then.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
enigne oil is another way the engine dissipates its heat. thus cooling the oil is a good idea. no different than when one runs 2 oil coolers on a HD truck. its too keep the oil temp consistent and low so that it wont bake when under extreme load, or use, etc. you can get away with a 160 bc youre in texas. in Md i shouldnt do less than a 180, if a chage is even a smart idea. i wouldnt heat up for **** in the winter then.
I was driving home from work just right now and going through 5pm traffic my water temp almost went up to normal, and thats with 160°. So I guess the thermostat is ok, at least I will be using it this weekend for sure. Now I'm really thinking about putting the oil cooler on.

Thanks for yall's responses so far.....any other input on the subject? Any specific experiences?

·
Registered
682 Posts
instead of a oil cooler wouldnt it be better and cheaper just to get a oil catch can. Anyone actually use or installed one? Ive thought about it and debated.
A catch can barely makes a temp difference. Catch cans are more for relieving crankcase pressure than controling oil temps.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
I'm gonna stick with what my dad told me regarding modification to the cooling system...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I can't really complain about the cooling in my car. IMO, it's made to run a certain way at a certain temp., and if you **** with that, you **** with the rest of the way the car is set up in the ECU. It seems a wee bit too much work for any sort of performance gain.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
anytime you can efficiently cool fluids, the better it is on the parts it lubricating. an oil cooler will cool the oil, not make it cold. it will always be circulating in the motor and is not going to drop its temps dramaticly. it will help, and if the car is under long periods of abuse, it will be a wise mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts