Modded Mustang Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
i wonder if its a windsor gt 2v with romeo crown vic 2v heads... dunno if thatll work but i dont really see why not
to tell if its a windsor is easy, just look for the big w's cast into the vally & side of the block.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
to tell if its a windsor is easy, just look for the big w's cast into the vally & side of the block.
I know mine is Windsor, but where is the "W" you speak of? The valley under the intake?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ok guys here goes my engine is a romeo, it is a 99 and guess what they are Crown Vic Heads, my nephew has the same heads on his 2001 GT, I thank all of you for helping out, I give props to all of ya' !! Your good stang family to have...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
2001 GT and 1999 Crown Vics do not have the same heads. The 2001 GT is PI, the 1999 Crown Vic is NPI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
This is what I found 2-valve

The first production Modular engine was the 4.6 L 2-valve SOHC V8 introduced in the 1991 Lincoln Town Car.

The 4.6 L 2V has been built at both Romeo Engine Plant and Windsor Engine Plant, and the plants have different designs for main bearings, heads (cam caps: individual caps per cam journal vs. interconnected cam "cages"), camshaft gears (press-on vs. bolt-on), valve covers (11 bolts vs. 13 bolts), crankshaft (6 bolts vs. 8 bolts), and cross bolt fasteners for main bearing caps.

In 1999, the F-Series 5.4 L 2V and the Mustang 4.6 L 2V received upgrades which included cylinder heads with improved port and combustion chamber designs, a more aggressive cam profile, and improved intake manifolds. This upgrade was known as the PI (Performance Improved) package. In 2001, the F150 and Crown Victoria 4.6 Ls received the PI package. In keeping with traditional Ford practice, as engine design is revised over time and compatibility with previous versions is considered low priority,[3] so that parts from a modular engine made in one model year are not necessarily likely to fit an engine made in another; and parts from an engine manufactured in Romeo are unlikely to fit an engine made in Windsor.[4]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
And scratch that last thing I said about it being a 1999 engine, = /
judging by this pic I found only 01 or 02-04 heads in a CV would fit either 01 heads or 02-04 heads , judge for yourselves that mapping on this pic makes more sense, so judging by having to buy 02 coils for the spark plugs and by this, I am guessing maybe 02-04 GT....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...95296897_100000712343014_477329_6843019_n.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
K your car is prolly an 01-04 if it has the oil fill on driver side. This is because 99- beginning of 01 our cars motors and heads were built in windsor Ontario and have 13 and 14 valve cover bolts and the oil fill is on the passenger side.... In md 01 they started coming from Romeo Michigan and have 11 valve cover bolts and the oil fill is on driver side. Hope this answers your question
I have a P.I 4.6 in my 99 cvpi that has 13 valve cover bolts but the oil fill cap is on the driver's side
01-04 the oil fill is on the pass side. Acually I think all 99-04 are on the pass side. I think the non PI heads have them on the driver side
I have a 99 c.v.p.i with a P.I 4.6 sohc engine, 13 bolt cam covers but the fill cap is on the driver's side ? If can't figure it out

·
Registered
3 Posts
we need a pic of the OP's engine to help figure this out
That is absolutely, 100% incorrect. 99.999% of Romeo MUSTANG engines had passenger's side oil fills. The Bullitt was an exception to that because of the intake, and the part number for Bullitt valve covers interchanges with the 96-98 GT's engines, not an 01-04.

Crown Vic PI engines did have driver's side oil fill, which is a popular (cheap) engine to get ahold of for a swap, which may explain this situation perfectly.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I have been racking my brain trying to find out what engine I have ? Its a P.I 4.6 windsor, but the oil cap is on the driver's side ? Its in a 99 c.v.p.i that originally came with a romeo 4.6, so if im understanding this correctly I more than likely have a 01 4.6 P.I windsor ? Because it still has the interceptor pcu as far as I know ? Does this sound right ?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts