Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a write up on replacing the gasket of the oil filter adapter?(not the oil filter). because I have a pretty big oil leak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its pretty straight forward, there are 4 10mm bolts. 3 near the front and 1 towards the back. Take them off, replace the gasket and then put them back on.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
What he said^

Also, make sure it is not coming from the pressure sending unit. I ran into an issue with this last summer. I was having my oil changed at work one day and notice a slight seep from it. So, not know it was a pipe thread, I tightened it, and tightened it, and tightened it... I ended up cracking the oil filter adapter and it made the leak MUCH worse. Ford wanted around $500 for a new one and I couldn't find any used ones locally, so I ended up taking it to a speed shop and having a guy weld it up. Hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
had to replace the gasket in mine too, very easy like 4 bolts did it when i changed my oil. the gasket itself was like 10 dollars shipped.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yea, careful with that sensor. I over tightened and destroyed it and immediately lost 4qrts of oil. cost me about 200 just for the adapter. Now...I don't remember replacing a gasket.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know the torque measurements for the four bolts?

·
7,889 Posts
anyone know the torque measurements for the four bolts?
I can't remember for sure, but let me grab my Haynes manual.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
7,889 Posts
My Haynes manual calls for 15 to 22 ft lbs. That is on vehicles with an oil cooler (cobras) but I would think it to be the same. I don't think I even torqued mine. Just got them nice and snug and mine hasn't leaked since.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I can't remember for sure, but let me grab my Haynes manual.

I did mine to German spec- gutenteit.

Also I recommend getting the gasket from Tousley. None of the parts stores had it around here, and Tousley is way cheaper than the stealership, even with shipping. They were often faster in getting it too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed it yesterday, so far no leak :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts