Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you think you should change your conventional oil every 3,000 miles or sythetic oil every 5-7,000.
A performance car should never use a double or tripple guard oil filter. :3gears

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Cause the VTEC won't kick in yo if I go past 3,000 miles

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Is it just me, or does this thread have no purpose or direction?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZAT
purpose or direction?
The purpose is to educate people on conventional vs synthetic oil.
I gave people a chance to answer the question
Why do you think you should change your conventional oil every 3,000 miles or sythetic oil every 5-7,000.

So the direction would be, answer the question, or if you don't know then ask why. I guess there is another "or" If you don't care then just don't reply.
You see, I know the answer to all three questions and I would guess most do not.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Houston. Lets try not to sling mud and keep this thread on track, if nobody answers than you should type your opinions and we can discuss each others thoughts.
Since this question really has an opinion based answer, I would say that IMO you should change your oil every 3000 miles to avoid even the slightest build up of contaminants, if you have a performance engine you always want clean oil so that your engine performance at its maximum.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
ZAT
purpose or direction?

So the direction would be, answer the question, or if you don't know then ask why. I guess there is another "or" If you don't care then just don't reply.
You see, I know the answer to all three questions and I would guess most do not.
Rather than come off argumentative, why don't you inform people? Like you said, the purpose is to educate people. Right now, there's no information in the thread. How about you do what the purpose is and educate people.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
ZAT
purpose or direction?

You see man, you are REALLY bad at explaning yourself and what you mean. I had no idea this was a question. It sounded like, all your threads, where you just state some random fact.

The fact that you had a question with no ? at the start, and then a statement about oil filters really threw people off.

You wonder why you are getting negative rep and responses? Its because your threads are really hard to understand, and when someone says something about it, you come unglued and start throwing ****.

Calm yourself and explain yourself a little better/different bro.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MEMZ
If it was an opinion I don't believe I would have even asked the question. It's not like what color is best, there are facts as to why conventional oil is not as good as synthetic and why performance engines should not use a double or triple filter for oil.

Rest
Oil after being refined is made up of molecules, each molecule has a certain amount of atoms in it to make the molecule chain, each chain is the same. The reason you have to change your oil is because these chains get broke over time or because of heat. To many broken molecule chains and the oil as a lubricant becomes ineffective.
In nature a conventional oil molecule chain look different from each other, they have the same number of atoms but look different and that difference is why synthetic oil last longer
For ease of demonstration I made a picture of oil molecules with 7 atoms each, oil molecules are much more complicated that that but it makes it ease to understand.

You can get many more synthetic molecules in a given space over conventional oil, thus longer time between oil change.

A long time ago API (American Petroleum Institute) came up with the API donut. This is the donut shaped decal on the back of the container of oil, I guess some are putting it on the front now. The API donut is divided into 3 sections, the top section is the service rating, The last highest service rating was "L" I believe. Your owners manual will state what service grade is best for your engine and in some case's will void your warranty if you use a lower service grade letter. The middle of the donut is for the grade of the oil. Even before the API donut the Society of automotive engineers (SAE) devised a grading system, they decided that an oil should have a certain amount of viscosity elements for it to be a multigrade grade oil and a certain amount of the same element for it to be a single grade oil. The W stands for winter and if the oil has a w it tells you that the labeled Viscosity applies at subfreezing temperatures, with no w the viscosity applies at 212 degrees F. The bottom half of the donut refers to the energy conserving ability of the oil. No wording in this section and there is no "slippery additive" added, energy conserving and energy conserving 11 indicates a 1 1/2 to 2 percent better gas mileage over oil with no words in this section. A few years ago API came out with trademark symbol that's on the front of a oil container, and quite the service rating letters. A circle with "For gasoline engines" in the middle. An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and approval committee. So a new Ford engine that the owners manual calls for 5W20 with a seal on the front of the container that states "For Gasoline Engines" this will meat the optimum fuel economy and durability performance. They may also have the API donut on the back of the container for older vehicles, I haven't looked in a while.
Older engines will call for service letter in their owners manual, if your manual calls for "SG" The S is for Gasoline engines C is for diesel engines. A SG oil can be used in a engine that has a service grade recommendation of SE but a SE oil can not be used in a engine with a service grade recommendation of SG.
I really hope this will give you some insight into oil the next time you pick up a qt and wonder what's the difference.

Oh I almost forgot about the oil filter. Oil filters filter oil, how well they do that depends on engine RPM and what’s inside the filter.
At 5,000 RPM your engine will use (lets say) 5 qts a min. If because of the filters restriction, the filter can only put out 3-4 qts a min. then the filter just goes into bypass and doesn’t filter the oil at all. The double or triple filters are good for non performance engines because the flow capacity is never reached.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I never really paid attention to the Scientific reason lol.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Thats some good information. Like I said before, just express yourself differently in your threads, thats all. Your hard to understand sometimes :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts