Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a lil bored so ....Just seeing if there any opinions on oil filters....any difference in types...brands....or is pretty much same chit different smell?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
i use motorcraft because its reccomended by ford and all of that. i used to use fram but the damn rubber seal kept dissapearing..weird **** man haha
anybody elts ever had those problems with fram? like the rubber seal just not being there when you take it off?
Fram is the biggest piece of poop filter out there.

I use a motorcrafrt oil filter. The oil filter is more important than what brand of oil you use. The fram sometimes fail letting unfiltered oil right back into the oil system. They have less filter area etc.

Here's a write up on the fram filter and a link to the resource i used.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.
The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass.

yeah, its the most expencive at the store so its gotta be good right haha
They're decent filters.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
anybody elts ever had those problems with fram? like the rubber seal just not being there when you take it off?
That's because it is still stuck on the mounting surface. ALWAYS check for the gasket on the mounting surface. I used to work as a mechanic and several people in our shop didn't check, it always came back with an oil leak and 99% of the time, it was "double-gasketed"

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
That's because it is still stuck on the mounting surface. ALWAYS check for the gasket on the mounting surface. I used to work as a mechanic and several people in our shop didn't check, it always came back with an oil leak and 99% of the time, it was "double-gasketed"

That and fram is more likely to do it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

no like i check the mounting surface and its not on there its completely clean. its just dissapeared

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
i put a lil clean oil on the gasket and never have a problem with it get stuck on the motor.i use a purolator filter, purolator manufacturers motorcrafts btw.
Well you're supposed to, to insure a good seal. I usually use a little old oil, because the drain pan is usually right beside me when I'm installing the new one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
wix or motorcraft they have the best check valve as well. fram filters are known for letting the oil run back out of filter causing dry starts.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
k&n or mobil 1

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have used fram filters since i got the car and never had any problems.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts