Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install my engine into my car and have some worries about my exhaust when the engine was ruining it was smoking bad and got to the point that oil was shooting out of the tail pipes.. Would this have clogged my cats? Is there any way to clean them out? They are bbk hi flo cats.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Oil could have clogged your cats but depending on how much got in them they may still be okay.

And I don't know of any way to clean out your cats once they are clogged

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
There are a few vids on youtube where people let them soak in laundry detergent. We used detergent to clean the oil off our shop floor so maybe it works?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Not sure how well cats can digest oil. But I do know this: keep the antifreeze covered. Apparently they like it because it tastes sweet.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Start saving for new cats, just in case. The catalysts need air to operate. They arent meant to be coated with oil. Too much fuel is bad for them, so oil probably isnt good for them either. Either way the catalysts cant breath properly, overheat, and starts to melt. Thats when they start to clog. They can get so bad they can keep the engine from starting.

You may be ok, but keep tabs on them.

And no, you cant fix a clogged cat, the damage is done. You either gut them or you replace them.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I would look into some sort of solvent that will break apart the oil. Then blow out as much as possible with shop air.

After that, re-install them, and get them as HOT as possible to burn off any excess. High EGTs are what you want so load it down and get up to speed.

If you can manage to do it in a controlled manner, run a little on the rich side. The fuel should light off in the cat and get it plenty hot, just don't get to the point where you start melting substrate. This is based on my experience of cleaning/maintaining DPFs and DOCs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts