Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up some new 30 lb injectors, mass air flow sensor, and bbk fpr today, when i took off the plate on the back of the upper intake i found a small puddle of oil. is this a serious problem and what could cause it? each intake runner felt like it had a small amout of oil in it also. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
why did you buy 30lb injectors ? looking at your mod list, it doesnt look like you need them, im not sure you really even need the 24lb either

What plate are you talking about that you took off ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had to pull the upper intake off. its an edelbrock performer and its got a plate on the back of it so you can get to one of the bolts. i got the injectors because i got all that stuff for $50 through kind of a trade deal and a buddy needed the 24's. im swapping to a 351 as soon as i can find one so i figured the 30's would be better for that. it runs really good with them now though.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Pulling in oil through your pcv or throttle body to valve cover line. Get a new PCV and check on it after you put it all back together. And no, you don't need the 30's unless you are planning more upgrades.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome ill get a new pcv tomorrow never even thought of that. ill post again and let you know if thats the problem. hopefully its not going through the TB but if so what could cause that?

and btw isnt everyone planning on more upgrades? LOL

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Through the throttle body location could be as simple as the baffle being removed and the the rocker throwing oil up the fill tube and the vacuum sucking it through the tube.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
awesome ill get a new pcv tomorrow never even thought of that. ill post again and let you know if thats the problem. hopefully its not going through the TB but if so what could cause that?

and btw isnt everyone planning on more upgrades? LOL
Yeah but even with a 351, lets say you install your current mods, stock pump and injectors would be sufficient.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Try changing the screen under the pcv valve in the lower intake, if the edelbrock has it.
A lot of intake manifold installs forget all about this. It's a drop in screen/filter that goes below your PCV. All the chain auto parts stores sell them. Sounds like either that, or that your baffle is gone under your oil fill. Put a fram FG1 fuel filter inline with your pcv and your line from your valve cover to throttle body, run it around for a week or so, then check to see which one has oil in it, there's your culprit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
nice trick nx havent heard that one yet

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of intake manifold installs forget all about this. It's a drop in screen/filter that goes below your PCV. All the chain auto parts stores sell them. Sounds like either that, or that your baffle is gone under your oil fill. Put a fram FG1 fuel filter inline with your pcv and your line from your valve cover to throttle body, run it around for a week or so, then check to see which one has oil in it, there's your culprit.

Thanks a lot! great advice it was coming through the valve cover since it has no baffle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha no you get some credit too i just havent had time to post i usually just read responses on my phone! can i just put a breather on the valve cover to fix the problem though?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No, I have a breather with no baffle on mine (or the rockers would hit it) and my temporary solution is a piece of 3M scotchbrite pad cut in a circle just slightly larger than my fill tube and wedged down into the bottom to act as a screen and keep the oil down, but let the air through. The engine builder guy in my hometown stocks these plastic things for a couple bucks that have sideways baffles in them that wedge down in the fill tube and do the same thing. My buddy has one and it cured his issue too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm sounds sketchy but ill try it lol. maybe i could ask around and see if i could find a similar baffle around here.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
heres a thought....get valve covers that clear your rockers that have baffles in them;)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Oh it is sketchy at the very least, but I only ran it a short while that way so far. But it's working. Just finally got my car out this year, so I'll see about getting that baffle soon. Maybe you can try google-ing it or something and find one that way too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heres a thought....get valve covers that clear your rockers that have baffles in them;)
thats a great idea but pretty costly lol. theyll hit my upper intake so id need a spacer, with the spacer my intake will hit the hood. if its not one thing its another :banghead

1 - 20 of 22 Posts