Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, kinda new here. I was changing my alternator about a week ago and as I took off the tb to get the alternator free, I noticed the inside of my manifold looked wet. I'm assuming its oil because my oil lever was dropping slowly but didn't have time to take off the thing and check. Is it supposed to be thats way? If not how can I fix it?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
No but its common on the 3v. Your best bet at solving it is to either install breathers or catch cans. I have a catch can on my drivers side pcv line that catches a lot of oil, you'd be surprised. Ive read a lot of people have problems with the passenger side though so I would pull both lines and chech for oil.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
No but its common on the 3v. Your best bet at solving it is to either install breathers or catch cans. I have a catch can on my drivers side pcv line that catches a lot of oil, you'd be surprised. Ive read a lot of people have problems with the passenger side though so I would pull both lines and check for oil.
Yeah, see which PCV line is producing the most oil. You could put a valve cover breather filter on the side that produces the least oil, and a catch can on the side that produces more.
Mine is almost completely dry on the driver's side (breather filter) while the passenger side produces a tiny amount, so I have a DIY catch can breather on that side and empty the can at each engine oil change. Needless to say, I capped off the vacuum ports on the intake manifold and the intake tube so the intake system is completely isolated from the crankcase. Check out the pics at Parts.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Yeah, see which PCV line is producing the most oil. You could put a valve cover breather filter on the side that produces the least oil, and a catch can on the side that produces more.
Mine is almost completely dry on the driver's side (breather filter) while the passenger side produces a tiny amount, so I have a DIY catch can breather on that side and empty the can at each engine oil change. Needless to say, I capped off the vacuum ports on the intake manifold and the intake tube so the intake system is completely isolated from the crankcase. Check out the pics at Parts.
Well if you put breathers on and cap off the intake you will only have oil coming out of the passenger side. Nothing will ever come out of the drivers side unless you remove the PVC valve. You don't even have to put a breather on there if you don't want.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
Well if you put breathers on and cap off the intake you will only have oil coming out of the passenger side. Nothing will ever come out of the drivers side unless you remove the PVC valve. You don't even have to put a breather on there if you don't want.
OK, that explains why the driver's side predominantly produces oil on a stock set-up while mine does the exact opposite. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a good price range for a catch can? I don't want to pay for a name, I need something to do a good job catching oil. I'm all up for making one myself but don't have time at the moment. Full time job and school at night.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
OK, that explains why the driver's side predominantly produces oil on a stock set-up while mine does the exact opposite. Thanks.
Yeah, with the stock system it draws air out of the drivers side with manifold vacuum and takes in air from the passenger side. When you unhook it from the vacuum source the flow reverses and flows out the passenger side because that is the only place for it to go. I just cut the valve out from underneath the cam cover so it is able to breath from both covers.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,410 Posts
I need something to do a good job catching oil. I'm all up for making one myself but don't have time at the moment.
It only takes a few minutes to make your own. Here's mine and these were the raw materials that I used:

1 x 220g baking soda tin
1 x Scotch Brite scouring pad placed inside tin
1 x 3/8" valve cover breather filter
2 x 3/8" barbed fittings epoxied to lid of tin
1 x 3/8" vacuum hose
2 x small hose clamps

Spray painting it red to match the body color improved its appearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts