Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a slow leak coming from the oil pan. Nothing major, just a few drips now and then. There is oil coated about half way around it though.

I know you have to pull the engine to change the oil pump, but can you get the pan off enough to change the seal? Seems really close to the K-member to me..

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've changed pump pickup and pan gasket witth engine in vehicle. On a lift, may be a different degree of difficulty on the floor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No need to remove the engine.

5.0L Engine Oil Pan Removal
Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
Remove the air cleaner tube.
Remove the oil level indicator from the left side of the cylinder block.
Remove the fan shroud retaining bolts, then position the shroud over the fan.
Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.
Drain the crankcase and remove the oil level sensor wiring from the oil pan.
Remove the starter motor assembly.
Remove the catalytic converter and muffler inlet pipes.
Remove the engine mount-to-No. 2 crossmember attaching bolts or nuts. Support the transmission and remove the No. 3 crossmember and rear insulator support assemblies.
Remove the steering gear attaching bolts and position the steering gear forward, out of the way.
Raise and support the engine to a position which allows clearance for oil pan removal.
NOTE: The best way to raise the engine is using an engine support fixture or an engine hoist. But, if necessary, a floor jack can be used under the oil pan if a large block of wood is used to distribute the load and protect the pan.

With the engine raised, install wood blocks between the engine mounts and frame. Then, lower the engine onto the wood blocks. If you are using an engine hoist or support fixture, leave it in place for additional safety.
Remove the oil pan attaching bolts and lower the pan to the No. 2 crossmember.
Loosen the retaining bolts, then lower the oil pump and pick-up tube assembly into the pan.
Remove the pan, along with the oil pump assembly, from the vehicle. If necessary, the threaded oil level indicator is easily removed

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have done it in my garage with limited space and it is not easy. If you have the proper tools it isn't too bad, but I am an experienced auto technician. If you chose to do it the following is the proper procedure.
:eek:
1. Disconnect battery ground cable, then remove oil level indicator tube from left hand side of cylinder block.
2. Remove air cleaner outlet tube, then raise and support vehicle.
3. Drain crankcase, then disconnect low oil level sensor electrical connector.
4. Remove starter motor.
5. Remove dual converter and pipe.
6. Remove front engine support insulator to front sub frame nuts.
7. Remove rear engine support and rear engine support insulator.
8. Remove steering gear bolts and position steering gear forward out of way.
9. Raise and support engine in position allowing clearance for oil pan removal.
10. Remove oil pan bolts, then lower oil pan to front sub frame.
11. Remove oil pump, oil pump screen cover and tube bolts. Allow oil pump and oil pump screen cover and tube to drop into oil pan.
12. Remove oil pan from vehicle.
13. Reverse procedure to install, noting following:

1. Clean oil pan and inspect for damage, then clean oil pan gasket surface on cylinder block.
2. Tighten oil pan bolts to 110-144 in lb .
3. Fill crankcase to proper level with specified engine oil.
4. Apply parking brake and, while holding foot on brake, start engine and allow to run for a few minutes.
5. Turn engine off and check for oil leaks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I really have to do all that??

Why can't I just unbolt the pan, slip it through the k-member, put on a new gasket and vise virsa?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Cuz people with experience just told u bro i tried that too and it didnt want to come off u know what I did,i stuck the **** rite back on lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh. Well I don't have a lift or ramps and I have to jack the car WAY up to get jack stands underneath it. But those are currently holding up my camaro. I think I will just have it done when I get my new rack and pinion put on. Just wondering if it was a simple DIY job.
None the less, thanks for the info guys. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts