Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to remove my oil pan for 2 reasons, 1) I have a slight leak at the back corner of the oil pan so I need to replace the gasket. I've tried tightening it down.
2) I want to see if I have the stock rods or if they have been changed.

I bought the car with engine mods done by the previous owners.

Can the oil pan be removed with the stock K member being in place.

Has anyone ever installed a 7 qt oil pan from MMR, Canton or Moroso, with the stock K member.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Your going to have to drop the k member. I tried to pull the oil pan out with out dropping the k member and the pick up tube gets in the way. I have gotten the pan off with the trans out but that was a total pain.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that's the case I might as well buy a new UPR k-member kit and the MMR 7 qt oil pan.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Suit yourself man. Ive been there. Try crawling under your ride and getting the oil pan without dropping the k and let me know how it works for ya. The trans will get in the way a bit if you dont have a long extension. Its just nice to have it out all the way and is not alot of work.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i might want to put some kind of sealer all the way around where the oil pan meets the block when your done

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
+1 drop the K... trans can stay in with out problem.. Just did all this a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suit yourself man. Ive been there. Try crawling under your ride and getting the oil pan without dropping the k and let me know how it works for ya. The trans will get in the way a bit if you dont have a long extension. Its just nice to have it out all the way and is not alot of work.
I don't crawl around under cars, too old for that and I have access to a lift and I have a giant mechanics roll around tool box with any and all the tools one could ever need. With a lift and the right tools it is a hell of a lot easier to work on your car.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
You can pull the front cover off and get to the pickup tube bolts. Unbolt the pickup tube.
You can get to the other bolt with the back of the pan dropped down. Then you may have to raise the engine a little. I can pull mine without raising the engine, but I have the tubular k-member.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you say front cover, are you talking about the timing chain cover. NO way ion hell, that's to much work.

I did some research and found that if you remove the motor mount nuts, loosen the bolts on the K Member but don't remove them, you can remove the oil pan by jacking the engine up about an inch.

The way I see it, you might as well and go ahead and remove the K member, replace the oil pan, and install long tube headers, then install a tubular K member.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I did some research and found that if you remove the motor mount nuts, loosen the bolts on the K Member but don't remove them, you can remove the oil pan by jacking the engine up about an inch.

The way I see it, you might as well and go ahead and remove the K member, replace the oil pan, and install long tube headers, then install a tubular K member.
+1. This is definatly a good time to do it...

Then it will look like this :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts