Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 95 cobra a couple months ago. Ive noticed as its gotten colder that the oil pressure is low until it warms up then its got good oil pressure. Well this morning it was the coldest its been since ive had the car (11*) and when i started the car it showed really low pressure. It was past the "L" on the oil pressure gauge. I let it idle for about 2 minutes and it shot up to just under halfway all of a sudden then after driving it for a few more minutes it moved up to about 3/4 of the way.

What can i do to help it get oil pressure on cold startup? Im pretty sure it has 10w30 in it now. Bout time to change the oil to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but the first number is cold weight. If correct 20w should provide higher pressure only until the car is warmed up.

Also shocked your gauge moves. I have never seen a sn95 or new edge car even flinch on the op gauge

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I didn't know if I wanted to go with a lighter weight or heavier weight to help because from what I've heard most of the time cars will have really high oil pressure when cold then come down to normal when warmed up. Mine is the complete opposite lol. My car has really low oil pressure on cold starts under 30* outside and then when it warms up it gets better op.

I'm pretty surprised that the gauge seems somewhat accurate to. I never trust the factory gauges but this one seems a little more honest.

I'm considering 5w20 or a heavy weight. I dont know which way to go

·