Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have a big problem. So I was out of town for about a month and my brother was house/car sitting. When I got home yesterday my brother told me there was a problem with my mustang. He said that about a week ago the oil pressure gauge started to go up and down. There would be no pressure for a little bit while driving then it would go back up and then go back down and finally after driving for a little while it would read normal. Today I went out to start it up it wouldn’t start. I tried to start it about 4 times then finally it started. I drove it down the road to see what it was doing and sure enough no pressure then it would go up then read no pressure then go back up again. On the way back to my house the car started to cut out. It died out then tried a couple times to start got it close to home then started to cut out again. What could be the problem??? Oil pump, Vacuum lines??? It is a 1992 2.3l Lx any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would guess the pressure sending unit is going out. But that shouldn't relate to the car cutting out and dying.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If the gauge and or light is not lying, then it's most likeley debris in the oil pan being sucked up onto the pickup crenn blocking the flow of oil. when you turn off the motor, the debris falls to the bottom of the pan and allows oil to resume travelling thru the pickup screen.

later 2.3 mustangs are known for the oil pan gasket deteriorating and providing the debris thats making the blockage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so would it be alright if i drive the car with the pressure gauge going out? Im going to check the fuel filter today and see what happens.

·
Registered
660 Posts
running the motor with no oil pressure should be avoided at all costs.

when the pressure drops, turn off the motor, wait 5 seconds, and restart it. thats what i did with my old dodge and that worked until i made the fix.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If you are asking about just the gauge reading dropping up and down, and sure it's just the sending unit that is bad then it will be fine. But if there is actually a problem with oil pressure moving up and down then do not run it at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts