Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to installing my oil pump, got the front cover off today and the little cog thing behind the front cover, I assume it’s for the crankshaft positioning sensor? It won’t slide off like in the videos I’ve seen. Has anyone else ran into this? I’m going to try and lightly run some emery paper up near that cog/ring what ever you want to call it and see if it’s just a bit of a burr holding it up as it will wiggle some left and right with the play it has in the keyway but not forward or back.

Second question... priming the oil pump, anyone have any experience in this? If I assembled everything back together and pulled the injectors and cranked it over, would this be good enough for priming? I’ve also read somewhere where people will connect a 12v source to the starter solenoid and rotate the engine assembly that way as well.

Thanks!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I haven't run into that, especially with the stamped sheet metal one. Usually lots of wiggling back and forth (fore and aft, not axial) will get it loose. I would try lots of penetrating oil first, and then heat second. (Be careful applying heat to an oily engine of course.) But if nothing else that heat should let it expand enough to work loose.

For priming, I wouldn't worry too much. You could do it by applying +12V to the starter solenoid, or disconnecting the injectors/pump.

There's a few other techniques people use-
Packing the pump with vaseline. This is some old school stuff. It helps create better suction to draw the oil up and in as the pump rotates

If you're really paranoid you can push the oil back in through the oil sender port. It's 1/8" or 1/4" NPT. Some use a garden sprayer to pressurize it, or you can make your own little rig with some PVC and fittings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts