Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the senario the oil pump in my buddies engine took a ****. now i sold him the motor. When i bought the car the previous owner said he had the motor rebuilt. i had put about 20,000 miles on the motor and i had replaced the oil pump with a high volume reg pressure pump when it was in my car because i had changed the oil pan after it was dented by a cyinder block. so i figured with the pan put that would be a good time to change the pump. It lasted one week and i had to replace it again with the same style pump. so now the other day the car lost oil pressure and we came to the conclusion that the pump went bad. the oil pump only had about 10,000 miles on it. now he called summit for a new pump and the tech guys said the pump went bad because it was a high volume pump that they are only good for engines with high milage when the bearings are worn i never heard of that has any in here ever hear of that. the oil was change every 2 months with quailty oil like quaker state, mobile, or pensoil. and fram filters any ans or ideas would be apreaciated because my friend is now gonna start using his stang as a daily drive and can not aford for problems like this to happen. when i had the pan put i pulled the main caps and the bearings were in exellent shape and oversized as if the motor was done over.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i wont matter how many miles the motor has. what kind of pump exactly? mellings? i would just get either a cobra pump or a mmr oil pump next.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
even more the reason to run a hv pump. i have ran mellings pumps without any sort of trouble. all built motors i do run a mellings hv pump. i would try one more and get it from oreilly's or something. if it were to go bad again it would only be a trip to the part store. i would also make a call to mellings and find out what was going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts