Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine builder recommended that I go with a high volume/standard pressure oil pump for better lubrication while keeping the stress down on the seals in the motor. Does anyone recommend a particular pump?

Would there be any benefit in going with a high pressure/high volume pump?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For inexpensive use the cobra (same as frpp) unit. If you have more money step up to a MMR. Even more money is the melling. I am running the cobra pump.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Just buy some billet gears for your stock pump. You don't need extra pressure.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
the billet gears ARE the price of the billet gears+pump. if you want billet gears just buy the pump with the gears already installed. i would suggest a stock cobra pump because i dont really believe cryo treating does much to strengthen the gear to the point where it would prevent it from shattering.

besides im pretty sure the problem was never the pump itself but rather the harmonic balancer so as long as that is properly set up your pump shouldnt ever have problems.

my vote goes to a stock cobra pump for like $60

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Melling with billet gears

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I've had two sets of stock cobra pump gears break! Plenty of people have had stock gears break. Why risk $5000+ engine using know pump gears that break.

·
Savage 2v
1,701 Posts
They only break because of the high revving of them, the don't like high RPM.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i dont believe its the rpms that break them but the load you put them under. if it was because the gears were crap and only the gears being crap then why have the gt pumps not failed? you never really hear of a gt oil pump grenading

Reactions: newsatng

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like high volume/standard pressure is the way to go. I'll probably just go with the melling pump for added insurance. Will my stock pickup work or do I need a different one?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
you need a bigger one

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I say the Cobra oil pump, with some Meiling billet gears. That with a bigger pick up tube.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Theres cobras on the stock motor making 900+rwhp, I just say meiling billet gears while your in there. But you will need a bigger oil pump pick up tube

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
nah they are fairly easy. the oil pump is right in front and the pickup tube is obvious attached right to it.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does anyone know what the oil pressure should be in a GT and/or Cobra with the stock block/stock pumps?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts