Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i acquired a cobra oil pickup tube for my 5.4 build but ive been hearing that the cobra oil pump likes to grenade. there is a pump with billet gears or whatever but its is multiple times more expensive than just an oem pump. so my question is how often do these cobra oil pumps grenade and under what conditions? is it safe to be running? should i be concerned with it grenading in my 5.4?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You can go with just a billet gear upgrade for the cobra pump. That is what most people do. I went with the MMR pump, it's just an upgraded stocker and it works great.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i just said in my post....did you even read the post?
oem cobra oil pump w/o billet gear=$60
cobra pump with billet gear=$300-$400
i want to know how often they grenade....

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
thats what i just said in my post....did you even read the post?
oem cobra oil pump w/o billet gear=$60
cobra pump with billet gear=$300-$400
i want to know how often they grenade....
Yes I read your post so take it easy. I was saying you can upgrade yours without buying a new one. thats cheaper. As far as how often they grenade it's not a lot until you start running bigger lower pulley and spinning the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont have one TO upgrade. hence the "5.4" and the 97 mustang "gt" under my avie. now would you like to explain to me then what your talking about?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
i dont have one TO upgrade. hence the "5.4" and the 97 mustang "gt" under my avie. now would you like to explain to me then what your talking about?
What do you need explained? I told you they don't grenade unless you start spinning them realy high or if they get out of balance with a bad balancer or using bigger lower pullies for more boost on the cobras. If you are gonna build a motor with expensive parts and high horsepower then you need something better than a stock pump. either an upgraded one or an aftermarket one. If you are gonna just build a little street motor then the cobra pump is just fine. Also being crappy on here is not the best way to get anyone to help you. try a little tact and maybe explaining things in a nicer way and you will get more help.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so dont spin it high, got that part. so what does the blower have to do with it? are you referring to horsepower? im just trying to figure out the point when the gear would fail. ie. spinning them high or horsepower/torque levels.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
There isn't a certain level. The more you deviate from stock and the higher you spin your motor the better the chance is that it will go. I've heard of mildly modded Machs losing their pump when spun too high (they use the same pump as the Cobras). So there isn't a set point when the go. You could rev the hell out of it and it could be just fine, but I wouldn't bet my motor on it.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I'm refering to the blower becaus you use a larger diameter pulley on the crank to make more boost, that can lead to pump failure from the added weight or the added weight not being balanced right. I'm only refering to that so you can see why they fail and see why in your setup it would eliminate that situation. That realy just leaves the high revving. So ask yourself what you plan to do with the motor rpm wise and that should tell you what to expect from the pump. IMO with a 5.4 you don't need to turn it in the high 6k rpm range to make good power so you should be fine. However if you wanted a mid level pump that is better than a stock cobra pump go with MMR's street/strip pump. It's got cryo treated gears and they are rebuilt and grooved and o-ringed for better sealing. It's a little pricy but not as high as a billet setup or a meiling. I run the street/strip pump with zero problems on my built motor and I turn it past 6k.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for that. i was actually checking out the cyro treated gears as well. no i probably will not be revving it past 6k rpm. however i may be boosting it and/or putting it on the bottle. would the pump be able to handle this? if i have it balanced as you say?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
It will handle quite a bit. But again if you are gonna put down some big numbers and you will with boost and/or spray its worth it to go with something a little better IMO just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would the mmr street/strip pump be an upgrade? i would like to get the billet gears pump but that is just wayt oo much money on a pump. the mmr street/strip one seemed like a happy medium but i didnt know how much better it was over stock.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
It is the happy medium. It has cryo treated gears that are better than stock but not as good as billet. Like I said that's what I put in mine and have had zero problems with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts