Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read several threads where people have had questions on oil weight, synthetic vs. petroleum based, change intervals, etc.

my recommendation would be to talk to people who are knowledgable AND unbiased and that would be the labs that analyze oil samples. I use Blackstone Labs and have been very satisfied with their work. they have years of experience and are more than happy to share what they've learned.

I'm not recommending them over any competitor, i've just had good luck with them. And, i don't get anything from them whether you use them or not.

you can get a free sample kit from their website. take the sample on your next oil change, send it to them (along with a credit card number) and in a week or two, they'll email a full page report to you on the quality/life of the oil and all contaminants. the part i like is that they compare the data from your sample with the data from the same engine from others. they will also make recommendations on your oil change interval based on the readings.

feel free to ask their techs about synthetic oil, additives, change intervals, etc. as i said, they're very knowledgable and are more than happy to share their experience.

the website is Blackstone Labs
just thought i'd pass it along...
Don

·
Registered
508 Posts
how much does it cost to get that done?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about $25 per sample. i usually do it on all new vehicles and about every 3rd oil change after to see if anything is going wrong.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I did this on my old car after seeing how we did oil changes in the Army. They took samples every once in a while and only changed it when the oil came back bad. So I had my oil analyzed (synthetic blend on a daily driver) at 3000 miles and it came back well within specs with no significant contamination. Again at 5000 miles, and it was still in specs. Again at 7500 miles and it was good. At 10,000 miles, it was nearing the borderline on a few contaminates,so I changed it. I'll have to see if I dig out the paperwork, but that was 10 years ago. And it didn't cost $25 back then..... I believe it was around $12 with shipping the sample.

So now I change it around every 7500 miles in my daily, and 5000 miles in the Mustang.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts