Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the second time in the past two months i have to pull my throttle body and suck the oil out of my intake manifold with a shop vac....i would LOVE to get an oil sep but cant afford it right now cause im having to save for other parts. i know there is the husky oil sep from home depot way BUT my home depot apparently doesnt sell those, i dont know why...they do sell seperators but they seperate sand not oil...does anyone know if this would still work the same as an oil or completely different?? im planning to take my intake manifold off this weekend and soak it in degreaser and pull the plugs to clean them AGAIN!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just used the oil seperator you mentioned from home depot, but there are some on ebay for like 18 dollars that look way better and will do the job. I am sure if you search ebay for (mustang oil seperator) you will find it:)

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Just put breathers on there.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
if he can't afford to do a catch can I don't think he can do the breather setup

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
So for the second time in the past two months i have to pull my throttle body and suck the oil out of my intake manifold with a shop vac....i would LOVE to get an oil sep but cant afford it right now cause im having to save for other parts. i know there is the husky oil sep from home depot way BUT my home depot apparently doesnt sell those, i dont know why...they do sell seperators but they seperate sand not oil...does anyone know if this would still work the same as an oil or completely different?? im planning to take my intake manifold off this weekend and soak it in degreaser and pull the plugs to clean them AGAIN!
I would if I were you, would move your catch can up the priority list of parts you are saving for. It amazes me how much oil it catches, and the more you mod the more oil wants to migrate into your intake. There is no performance benefit in catch-cans unless you conceder the lowing of octane when the oil gets mixed with you air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just used the oil seperator you mentioned from home depot, but there are some on ebay for like 18 dollars that look way better and will do the job. I am sure if you search ebay for (mustang oil seperator) you will find it:)
Is the Home Depot one doing the job? I can't justify $100+ for a catch can. Might just try making my own at work.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is the Home Depot one doing the job? I can't justify $100+ for a catch can. Might just try making my own at work.
Jesus what golden catch can are you lookin at?

My buddy made one for his car (ricer but the idea is the same) and it worked like a charm. As long as you set it up right it should work with no issues.

·
2,139 Posts

·
2,139 Posts
Yup, a lot of good deals out there, You got know what you are looking at..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I ended up getting the oil filter at Home Depot, I was already there getting yard crap. Plan on pulling the intake off and installing this separator tomorrow. The backfiring is just getting worse and it seems like its lagging in acceleration as well. garydahl I will keep looking on ebay for back-ups if the home depot fails me, thanks for the idea cause some reason I just didnt think to check there haha. I think itll do the job for me because I havent done to much work on the car and already plan to get a better catch can once I build more on the engine (once I have the cash). thanks again everybody for the advice, much needed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
it will work for sure, it just not the prettyest thing.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
You should not be getting that much oil in there. You need to check for an underlying condition - a catch can is good and will help, but with a normal working engine you shouldn't be blowing that much oil. Is it just oil or the complete blowby mixture you're getting to the intake? You want the blowby gases to go back into the chambers as they help clean the internals from soot and unburned materials, thus helping the rings seal better, but I suspect you have leaking rings or something bad on your upped end.

Reactions: brianm

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
^That decient advise as well, I never had anywhere near the amount of oil your describing or heard of anyone having to do the work you have because of it. I shall add to you reputation 04gtampa:yes. Mabey a compression test is in order?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
^That decient advise as well, I never had anywhere near the amount of oil your describing or heard of anyone having to do the work you have because of it. I shall add to you reputation 04gtampa:yes. Mabey a compression test is in order?
Compression or Leakdown test even better. The Leakdown test will point out with more accuracy where the leak is coming from, if there is one. But I highly suspect something is wrong.

OP, how much oil are you using? Is there smoke at any point? Startup, idle, accel or decel? You mentioned changing your spark plugs again? Are they fouling up? Ever smell burnt oil? The oil you find in your intake, does it smells like gasoline?

·
2,139 Posts
With a drivers side catch can you still have the blow-by on the passenger side... My blow by started after my Hot Rod cams were installed. I found somewheres where an article on the net said that Loopy cams COULD cause an increase blowBy

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
With a drivers side catch can you still have the blow-by on the passenger side...

Really? That shouldn't be happening unless your PCV valve is not operating properly. On a closed system the passenger side should be flowing into the engine, not out.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Really? That shouldn't be happening unless your PCV valve is not operating properly. On a closed system the passenger side should be flowing into the engine, not out.
Correct.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts