Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, well ive started the tear down on my motor, I was going to put it in my fox but its going in another project. The 5L and AOD came out of a Cougar but heres the questions.

1) It was either an 86 or 87(cant remember what year Cougar it came out of). None of the fuel injection stuff is being used, but the bottom half of these motors are different from prior 86 to 87+ correct? If so, what are the differences?

2) Is there anywhere on the block or trans where I can find the year?

3) I have a B&M Pro-Stick shifter I wanted to use, but it apparently wont work with the AOD, but the C4. Will I still be able to use it, and be missing a gear? Or will I have to buy another shifter?

4) I also want to paint the motor and tranny. Should I use some sort of primer before I spray them? What should I use for primer and paint?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I dont believe the cougar/tbird's had forged bottom ends

if you look on the driver side oil pan rail, right below that you will see a boss with letter and numbers something like E07E or something along those lines, thats the date code of the block/motor

I think you can buy a new gate plate for that and use it with the AOD or maybe another piece or two, check into it.

to paint the motor, for best results use a primer. Make sure its clean first or nothing will stick to it and stay

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, got the block cleaned and painted. Hopefully it dosent chip and peel.
The block is an 86, and it came out of a Cougar. Its not an H.O. Any differences in the 86-87 year bottom end wise? Or that it came out of a cougar?

Any ideas how to make the AOD work with the Pro Stick?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
your gonna have to actually put a touch of effort in, google, or a speed shop.

Just told you the bottom ends arent forged I believe, will work, but wont hold as much hp

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I dont know of anyone else on here that really uses a Pro Stick to ask them directly. I will have to ask around I guess if it will have a forged bottom end or not.

I guess one more question is my friend has some 1.7 Crane Cam roller rockers. Do you have to do anything else to install them? Or will they work?

Thanks 86er for the help

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
as long as they are pedastil mount they will bolt right up

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Why bother with the 1.7 rr? with it being all stock and the money it will cost you to buy new 1.7 rr you could get my HP for about the same money and do other mods.

Like a cold air intake, possibly even a cam, a cam will make way better power and a difference that 1.7rr would. And only for a little bit more money, its money is tight i would choose wisely, you could even save up to get new gears in the rear end like 4.10. I wouldnt waste the money on RR when you can get more HP or performance from doing other mods, even if they are just a little bit more way more worth it. Plus the time to change your rr not worth it, be better of taking that time and putting in a new cam, but thats just my opinion....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the RR were free from my friend.. I just didnt want to pick them up if they wouldnt work. Cause I have my hands tied right now and dont wnat to have to try to sell them to keep the house clutter free.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Why bother with the 1.7 rr? with it being all stock and the money it will cost you to buy new 1.7 rr you could get my HP for about the same money and do other mods.

Like a cold air intake, possibly even a cam, a cam will make way better power and a difference that 1.7rr would. And only for a little bit more money, its money is tight i would choose wisely, you could even save up to get new gears in the rear end like 4.10. I wouldnt waste the money on RR when you can get more HP or performance from doing other mods, even if they are just a little bit more way more worth it. Plus the time to change your rr not worth it, be better of taking that time and putting in a new cam, but thats just my opinion....
have you ever picked up a wrench before? Changing pedastil mounted rocker arms is on the easiest things ever. Unbolt and rebolt torque to 22ft lbs.

On stock heads a bigger cam wont give that much gain, a stock cam, 1.7's and bolt ons will show decent gains.

Plus a cam swap to a rr swap. Come on McFly, 2hrs tops for the RR or an afternoon to a day on a cam swap.

BEEP BEEP I think I hear your short bus coming

·
Registered
7,991 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldnt ever see RR takin longer to do than a cam install.
THe motor is bone stock to my knowledge, out of an 86 Cougar.
Dont mind the pic, gf took it :p

If i have to, ill get a better one.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
those are pedastil mount, they have a flat boss thats threaded, a little stand the rocker sits on and a bolt that holds the rocker to the stand to the threaded boss. Cake walk.

so easy a cave man can do it

Reactions: TheBrat

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright thanks 86! Much appreciated! I will get those off him than! REPS FOR U!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure? How can I tell? All I know is that there Crane Cam 1.7 Roller Rockers.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Well I just looked on Summit and they didn't have any pedestal mount Crane 1.7rr's....
93 cobra, crane stamped them for ford

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Im not sure? How can I tell? All I know is that there Crane Cam 1.7 Roller Rockers.
look at what he has, it will have a tiny like 5/16th threaded shank with an allen head. It will look like a shaft mounted rocker but with a tiny hole, a flat metal bracket with two holes in it and a small metal stub all these pieces will be seperate but all are part of pedastil mounted rockers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts