Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently acquired a new to me 03 GT manual. Its been running great and had no issues until today.

I ran a few errands and have been driving her nice and easy. I went to three different places and when I left the third place to head home, I began to hear a really weird noise. None of the posts/threads here seem to be similar. Hard to explain but here it goes:

It sounds like its coming from the front around the engine somewhere. It seems to stay constant regardless of rpm, speed, gear, neutral, ac on or off? I did notice the sound goes away when I try to roll up both windows as if the electrical load is making it stop? This is when the windows are already all of the way up. What in the world can it be?

No lack in engine power. Not missing.

Would the belt tensioner make this noise if it were lose? Should I be able to move it all by hand. Seems like it might be kinda lose?

I have tried searching and found nothing like it?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Please help a noob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it's not a ticking noise. Hard to describe. Almost like a clanky noise, or something loose. Let me try and get some video if I can figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inside the car it sounds like a rattle or something's loose. Under the hood it sounds horrible

I guess it seems to be consistent with rpm but not any louder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the fan. Does the fan only run when the engine is running or will it run with key on engine off based on temp?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another thing you could do if you think its coming from any of the belt driven components is to remove the belt and start it up. See if you hear anything then maybe?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedFury013

That's a great idea. I will try that as well and post back.

I hope it's not anything major

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Another thing you could do if you think its coming from any of the belt driven components is to remove the belt and start it up. See if you hear anything then maybe?
Thats what i was thinking, maybe a pump? it does seem like its something run by the belt though

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
thats what my v6 sounded like when we found out the fan was shhhiiitt

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Are you 100% it stays constant with a change in RPM?

If that's the case it's not going to be a belt driven noise.

If the noise doesn't change with RPM try unplugging your fan to see if that's the source.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so I took the belt off and she sounds so good!

So it is something belt driven? Check the video above, could it be an alternator?

Thanks again to all for their help

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I wonder if its something to do with the AC? can you tell where the noise is coming from? even when the ac isnt on it still should be moving, if it sounds like a fan hitting It may be that? I pulled that out of my ass but makes sense to me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The video above shows a different noise I have heard since I test drive it. This video is without the belt.

This is also a noise I'd like to find out but not as concerning as the issue I posted about here at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Honestly I would say change the alternator. Preferably if you had a friend with a mustang just swap them real quick and see if the noise stops. Alternator makes sense with the window switches stopping the noise. More electrical load.

The other noise, not sure. An open hood would help identify that one. Get youself a longer screwdriver or piece of hose a couple feet long and start listening to different parts on the engine while the noise is happening. Just stick it to your ear, like a stethoscope, and put it on different parts until you isolate the area the noise is coming from.

Best bet, alternator, or maybe a bad idler pulley. Both are easy enough to change as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts