Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I really need help. So if you saw my other post, one of the seat bolt heads broke off, one I needed to take off to install the seat brackets for my sfc's. So I have been drilling, and not really getting anywhere. So I PB Blastered the **** out of both the driver side ones, now the other bolt head snapped off. Im ready to lose it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
get a nice metal drilling drill bit. it takes a while to get to a point where you can get the bolt out but it will work. be patient. i think it took me about 20-30 minutes of drilling to get mine out. put a good amount of pressure on the drill too to make sure you're making progress.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get a new drill bit, you need to keep the speed slow and use a cutting fluid, such as regular old canola oil or vegetable oil. If you spin the bit to fast, it will just dull. Go slow, and be prepared to be drilling for a while.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried using a left hand drill bit to back them out?
Tried that. Also tried easy out. It seems like the bolt is pretty much welded in place. I even put a nut underneath and tried tightening it but it just stripped.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Try some vise grips on the bottom side of the car where the bolt sticks down below the car about an inch.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're all soaked with pb right now so I'll let them sit overnight. I am determined to get them out tomorrow. It's just so frustrating. Its always somethin...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I have read all these people having nightmares when they take their seat bolts out and i was kinda scared to start on mine today but they came out like butter thankfully, im putting in some new carpet and Corbeau's

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read all these people having nightmares when they take their seat bolts out and i was kinda scared to start on mine today but they came out like butter thankfully, im putting in some new carpet and Corbeau's
Wtf. I literally have THE worst luck with EVERYTHING. :mad:

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to weld out the bolts that connected my stock lca's to the axle cuz they were basically welded in place (2hr job -> 19hr job), had my gears installed and they whined, broke both driver side seat bolts. fml

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Ahhh everyone has had their share of BS with cars man, i was welding in my torque box plates and caught fire to my car and caused about $600 worth of damage. Thats why new carpet and seats are going in my car now lol

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I hear ya. It just seems that theres been something go wring with every single thing i've done to it so far, except for the shifter and shocks. Maybe I should stick with "sh" words and add a shupercharger

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Cody,

That is not nearly the worst luck in the world trust me. I could list pages upon pages of worse things. I know it sucks, trust me I do. My first car I bought I drove it three times and it broke down three times. It's all in having a vehicle. Eventually, it happens to everyone at some point.

On the note of the bolts though, Dave's suggestion with the vise grips should work in theory. No guarantees tho.

I will send some good ju-ju your way. :D

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cody,

That is not nearly the worst luck in the world trust me. I could list pages upon pages of worse things. I know it sucks, trust me I do. My first car I bought I drove it three times and it broke down three times. It's all in having a vehicle. Eventually, it happens to everyone at some point.

On the note of the bolts though, Dave's suggestion with the vise grips should work in theory. No guarantees tho.

I will send some good ju-ju your way. :D
Yea I know, I was just kinda venting. And thanks for the ju-ju. You get reps for that bud ;)

EDIT: Nvm, gotta spread the good ju-ju around before I can add to you

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
It's times like this I'm glad I live in NC and my car came from FL. Rust sucks balls.

Just spray it with PB Blaster, hit the part of the bolts that are sticking through a few good times with a hammer. Repeat as necessary. Then try the vice grips thing, but don't just try to screw them out. If you can get them to move at all, keep working them back and forth to work the rust out. If you just try to unscrew them, chances are you'll hit a spot where they'll just stop and won't go any more. Take your time and work it back and forth, slowly loosening them.

If you can't get them to move at all, then you're going to have to get some really good drill bits, the DeWalt pilot tip bits would be perfect for the job, and start small and slow and work your way up until you can get them out.

It's going to suck any way you go about it.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Dude, the EXACT same thing happened to me- I ended up spending the time drilling it out because I didn't really have a choice. Ugh, thanks for reminding me how much of a pain that was. Made me really glad the kit came with new bolts!

And Bullit, I actually used those dewalt self-pilot drill bits. They don't work so great on metal IMO in the larger sizes since unless you step up, its like a small drill bit then a big flat one that can catch and throw the bit off.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea. Its gonna be a bitch. Im gonna go out in a little bit and give it hell. On a positive note, once they're out, the flsfc's are goin in, and I also just ordered my panhard bar :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts