Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well for some time now I've been planning on getting a twin turbo setup for my car while I'm still miles off from that I've been able to start saving money :eek: ! lol. While I'm not nearly close to turbo kinda money I just need to know what else do I need to do to my car. So far I have this figured in:
Turbo kit(obviously) which i'm gonna piece together myself I can get a shop to make custom make my piping
oil lines and cooler
Inter-cooler
Blow off Valve
Waste-gate
2x Turbos probably midsized?(any opinions, heard smaller turbos are better for this setup)

Probably am going to have to increase the Transmission fluid capacity along with a cooler because it's auto?

I know I have to upgrade the rear end potentially but mine is somewhat stock with some sort of LSD not sure on gearing though how much could it hold with turbo? would I have to go easy on it til it's upgraded?

Suspension? Do I have to upgrade it or is it just a plus once everything else is upgraded

Engine of course
do I have to do any major work here? how much boost can a stock motor hold assuming it's stock I talked with a friend who works at a car shop and he said the other sixers that come in have significantly weaker engines so maybe someone did engine work on it in the past i'm like the cars third owner and its only got 87k miles on it

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
truthfully most people who say this here dont do it....
either way there are many threads on this same question with big lists of what you need, do a search see if you can find them first.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ok well for some time now I've been planning on getting a twin turbo setup for my car while I'm still miles off from that I've been able to start saving money :eek: ! lol. While I'm not nearly close to turbo kinda money I just need to know what else do I need to do to my car. So far I have this figured in:
Turbo kit(obviously) which i'm gonna piece together myself I can get a shop to make custom make my piping
oil lines and cooler
Inter-cooler
Blow off Valve
Waste-gate
2x Turbos probably midsized?(any opinions, heard smaller turbos are better for this setup)

Probably am going to have to increase the Transmission fluid capacity along with a cooler because it's auto?

I know I have to upgrade the rear end potentially but mine is somewhat stock with some sort of LSD not sure on gearing though how much could it hold with turbo? would I have to go easy on it til it's upgraded?

Suspension? Do I have to upgrade it or is it just a plus once everything else is upgraded

Engine of course
do I have to do any major work here? how much boost can a stock motor hold assuming it's stock I talked with a friend who works at a car shop and he said the other sixers that come in have significantly weaker engines so maybe someone did engine work on it in the past i'm like the cars third owner and its only got 87k miles on it

Thanks guys

dunno why you would have to do that? We have the same motors as 99-04 gts and they hold up pretty well in those.

But like woody said, every single person who has a v6 has made a "i wanna tt my car" thread and probably <10 have done anything close to TT. I would just start saving if you really wanna do it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Don't stereotype me, I've never said that. It's definitely possible, and has been done, but the majority of people who go boost seem to go single turbo, and some manage to push real good numbers out of these cars. It's all about compiling everything necessary for a custom set-up, since it has to be custom. This is where most people under-estimate how much is really required as far as how much boost and so on. Blowing a motor isn't fun, and can happen pretty easily if it isn't carefully planned out and run safely.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Don't stereotype me, I've never said that. It's definitely possible, and has been done, but the majority of people who go boost seem to go single turbo, and some manage to push real good numbers out of these cars. It's all about compiling everything necessary for a custom set-up, since it has to be custom. This is where most people under-estimate how much is really required as far as how much boost and so on. Blowing a motor isn't fun, and can happen pretty easily if it isn't carefully planned out and run safely.
:yes i was one of those looking for tt at first...

I know this isn't some 3 month project it's gonna take a while to get the cash but I think I can do it.
ur really just better off with a single turbo setup most likely. it will probably be more than you'll ever need.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
honestly I'am biased toward single turbos for a few reasons, but some swear but twins because the capability of the turbo increases.
Most think twins=more power....false!
it does mean more money, a lot more. even you go cheap, if you go cheap the parts will go bad anyway so you have to spend twice the amount.
Cheap on a turbo setup NEVER WORKS. I've personally seen soooooo many people swear by ebay wastegates or bov's but I've seen the same people with many failures on them and horrible spikes and issues.
so for example. Tial wastegate-$240 for 1. your paying $500 instead now
my favorite part turbo selection. $1000 turbo your spending $2,000 now.
if you want to go ball bearing. your looking at about $3,000-$4000+ in just the turbo chargers themself.

anyway that being said a well spec'd single turbo will spool quickly and net you great gains and great power. And with a 2step, or transbrake, you have 0 boost lag. So the whole twins have less lag....means nothing.

All the fastest supras are Single turbo. Stock they come twin so why switch??
now most think well a supra is a dyno queen, of course it is when they think a 76mm or 88mm is needed for 700hp..
I've seen a s2k with a 2jz(supra motor) with a 67mm precision turbo making 700+.

a well spec'd turbo is all that matters.

either way with out money or being well knowledged about turbo's to be completely truthful the turbo kit and all the ideas i shoot at you will never go into action.

And as it is and I've always said, if your asking or have to ask what you need to piece together a turbo kit, you have no business putting one together in your car.

Not trying to be an asshole but even when i bought a full kit when TMA was open i neglected many things because i lacked knowledge about it when i first got the kit. I cannot tell you how many things i had to switch, relocate or re-install because of it. it took me about 28hours to do the install. it takes me about 3-4hours now for a full turbo kit install. and i could easily piece a kit together.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Best advice I could give you is to buy a welder and practice. Most people like a tig but personal prefrences I stick weld. I like to use 6018 sticks and turn the heat down to around 120 on pretty much everything.
If I were to build a turbo kit on my car I would use stock headers and flip them. I would use v-band clamps where ever I could. Best thing to would to be to study the engine compart ment and decide where you want to put the turbo. Make a blue print of it and figure what typr of piping you will have to order. Straight peices,u bends, elbows, and v-band clamps. This is for the hotside piping..befor the turbo. For the cold side I would buy a ebay kit that comes with the intercooler.
It's best to know what turbo setup you plan on running before you start and build your kit around it. Imo it would be best if you go and pick up a damaged motor and engine stand to moch everything up on so your car wont be down.
Then theres bovs, wastegates, fuel system componets and tuning left.
Once or if you get the hotside mocked up it's all down hill from there. For a single setup I would go with a t3/t4 65-70t. Twins I would with a set of dsm takeoffs. Because they can be had on the cheap and have worked out others v6 mustangs before to the 400-450hp range...for such a small turbo they spool very hard and fast.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Best advice I could give you is to buy a welder and practice. Most people like a tig but personal prefrences I stick weld. I like to use 6018 sticks and turn the heat down to around 120 on pretty much everything.
If I were to build a turbo kit on my car I would use stock headers and flip them. I would use v-band clamps where ever I could. Best thing to would to be to study the engine compart ment and decide where you want to put the turbo. Make a blue print of it and figure what typr of piping you will have to order. Straight peices,u bends, elbows, and v-band clamps. This is for the hotside piping..befor the turbo. For the cold side I would buy a ebay kit that comes with the intercooler.
It's best to know what turbo setup you plan on running before you start and build your kit around it. Imo it would be best if you go and pick up a damaged motor and engine stand to moch everything up on so your car wont be down.
Once or if you get the hotside mocked up it's all down hill from there. For a single setup I would go with a t3/t4 65-70t. Twins I would with a set of dsm takeoffs. Because they can be had on the cheap and have worked out others v6 mustangs before to the 400-450hp range...for such a small turbo they spool very hard and fast.
for someone with the time and skill to do this, this is the best option as of now since tma isnt doing kits anymore. only thing is that for a dd a turbo motor boosting enough psi to reach the 400hp range is most likely not going to last long unless its built. not only will u screw the motor, but ur reaching out of ranges for the stock transmission and definitely that stock 7.5 rear.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok maybe he doesn't know what all he needs for the kit, and maybe he isn't going to do the install like the other people that have asked this a million times, but he still asked. If i were you i would look at talking to someone either on the phone or in person about what all this project entails, and the cost. You got to weigh the factors. Is it worth it to tt it, or go single. Or should I just sell my car completely and get a gt. Im sorry to say the last part, but unless you really like your v6 and maybe just want to prove that the v6s can make some power then I would consider buying a gt. Ik that is like a sin to say on this section, but it seems stupid to spend that much on a tt system when you could buy a gt and a s/c or single turbo and make more power. Cuz you got to realize sure the cost of the turbo kit, then you got like 600 for tuning, you need a 8.8 rear end with a upgraded differential and 31 spline axles which costs a little bit, the cost of building your motor depending on your application how much hp you want, the cost of upgrading your transmission.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
:yes
V-band clamps are 10x better then 3 bolt flanges
I'm sending my kit to get re-done because I've blown literally DOZEN of collector gaskets before the turbo causing bad spool time.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
ok maybe he doesn't know what all he needs for the kit, and maybe he isn't going to do the install like the other people that have asked this a million times, but he still asked. If i were you i would look at talking to someone either on the phone or in person about what all this project entails, and the cost. You got to weigh the factors. Is it worth it to tt it, or go single. Or should I just sell my car completely and get a gt. Im sorry to say the last part, but unless you really like your v6 and maybe just want to prove that the v6s can make some power then I would consider buying a gt. Ik that is like a sin to say on this section, but it seems stupid to spend that much on a tt system when you could buy a gt and a s/c or single turbo and make more power. Cuz you got to realize sure the cost of the turbo kit, then you got like 600 for tuning, you need a 8.8 rear end with a upgraded differential and 31 spline axles which costs a little bit, the cost of building your motor depending on your application how much hp you want, the cost of upgrading your transmission.
I sort of agree expect for buying a GT...unless its 3v
2V platform doesnt really step up from V6's
the stock motor on a 2v gt holds the same power a V6 will
built for built sure GT 2vs have made more but thats because people push them and they have more after market
otherwise psi for psi the numbers are so close its truly embarrassing

where as a 3v will make 500+rwhp on 8psi stock bottom end.
a 2V will never see the day 8psi gets them at over 500rwhp mark especially with an untouched motor.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
ok ya i just was giving some advice on the gt. i kinda noticed that on the 2v. There are always the 4v 99-04 the cobra and machs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts