Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys... I have a ton of stuff that is getting ready to go to the paint booth, but before I send the hood off I want to atleast drill the holes in the hood for the pins ( so I can sand it smooth before painting ). Heres the Kicker, I picked up a carbon fiber hood. Can I drill through it with a regualr bit for a drill or do I need to add water while drilling, or what? Anyone tried this before?

--I would rather not hear assumptions as your head will be the next thing I drill through if you guess and I mess this up... ;)

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Fast - Regular bits are fine, if your bits are not sharp, sharpen them, Carbon fiber is essentially just like going through fiberglass, the thing to keep an eye on is the fraying of the weave within. The sharpest bits available make that a non issue and it will be an easy job.

I too want to see some pics of this grocery list of items you have going in.. Why you holding out??

·
14,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sounds like I may be going on a shopping trip to sears on my way home for some new bits... I will say there should be an official unvieling here in a few weeks. I need to get everything ( roush front bumper, gt500 hood ( for a GT ), speedster cover, and ducktail wing ) off to the paint shop. Just got my nitto 555rs in to get wrapped on my chrome bullets and got some tokico dspecs, eibach springs, and panhard bar waiting for the long weekend this weekend. With my side exhaust and procharger this thing should be sitting pretty here soon. Trust me there will be a good vid to come, just got to get the loose ends wrapped up.

BTW-- what do you guys think about this idea? I think Im going to get the hood painted ( obviously ) but leave two strips from the vents back to the windshield exposed carbon fiber... suggestions? ( Im vista blue for those that dont know ). Sorry cant find any pics of vista w/ carbon fiber...

·
14,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen pics of other poeple who have done things similar ( where I got the idea from ) but havent seen any vista blue ones... I think the carbon fiber and vista would go well together...

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I have seen pics of other poeple who have done things similar ( where I got the idea from ) but havent seen any vista blue ones... I think the carbon fiber and vista would go well together...
I thiink that would look real good (I am doing something like that in the future) but only if it goes with your theme. You dont want it to look out of place.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Don't worry friend.... we will tell you how it looks when its finished...

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree, clear coated carbon fiber looks tough. My step father has some of his cleared on his vette along with some of the hood being painted and its sick.

·
Banned
392 Posts
I think showing some cf would look real good i had a sonic blue svt with a cf hood and i thought it looked good got alot of comments... so id do it

·
Registered
191 Posts
i am sorry to disagree with all of you, but drilling in carbon fiber is NOT like drilling into fiberglass. when drilling into fiberglass you have the resin which is a large portion of the weight and the stability of the fiberglass, also fiberglass is not a directionally structured composite, where as carbon fiber will seperate when drilling. normally if you are going to have a hole in carbon fiber, it is molded into the composite. if you do not use high speed drills that are incredibly sharp, and normally high carbon steel drill bits, you WILL shear your fibers and pull extract some of the fibers. this will cause degradation to your carbon fiber matrix and can lead to cracking. because you will have hood pins in the area of the holes that will be drilled, you will have excess stress in the area. I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST letting a professional do this for you, or DONT DO IT AT ALL. you may get lucky, but do you want to risk a $800 hood?

·
Registered
555 Posts
i am sorry to disagree with all of you, but drilling in carbon fiber is NOT like drilling into fiberglass. when drilling into fiberglass you have the resin which is a large portion of the weight and the stability of the fiberglass, also fiberglass is not a directionally structured composite, where as carbon fiber will seperate when drilling. normally if you are going to have a hole in carbon fiber, it is molded into the composite. if you do not use high speed drills that are incredibly sharp, and normally high carbon steel drill bits, you WILL shear your fibers and pull extract some of the fibers. this will cause degradation to your carbon fiber matrix and can lead to cracking. because you will have hood pins in the area of the holes that will be drilled, you will have excess stress in the area. I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST letting a professional do this for you, or DONT DO IT AT ALL. you may get lucky, but do you want to risk a $800 hood?
He use to work in a shop to my understanding:)

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Fast will do fine, and it's not as climactic as you make it sound, I drilled 3 sets of carbon fairings on my gsxr 1000, and I've drilled several hoods for pins as well as lift struts. Not one time was there a problem.

This past saturday I watched AMS drill about 12 holes in an EVO hood and they went at it with far less care than I ever would. They simply lasered the marks and set right to drilling for the 12 twist lock pins on a lift off hood via a cordless hand drill.

·
14,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the deed is done. I stopped by sears on the way home and bought three new bits ( varying in size to work my way up to the final size, which after doing it I think was a little overkill ). No pics, sorry. I dont have a digital camera ( only a 8 year old handycam ) one of these days I will go out and fork over the cash and get one. Went pretty easy ( as most jobs do when you have the proper tools ( its nice that I can still use the 6k in tools/box I bought when I worked for the dealer ). Havent mounthed the pins or anything yet, will get that taken care of after painting ( obviously ). Set a date last night with a local body shop to get everything in there next mondya and should have everything back by the next week. Then its just a matter of me getting the free time to get everything mounted... Thanks for the input guys...
BTW- I would love it if someone has pics of something with mixed vista/sonic blue w/ carbon fiber exposed so I can see what it looks like before I get it done...
Thanks--

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
can't wait to see it 1FastFox. I was looking into get a carbon fiber hood my vista colored car too. If I get one I would have the majority painted too, with some accents or something left raw. Your ideas sound pretty sweet though, should come out good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts