Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i seem to have misplaced my locking nut key. I put it in my bag, but the damn zip lock was broken! :mad: so, i really don't know what to do. You definitely can't bang a socket on it, and i really don't wanna wield a nut on them and risk ruining my wheels. Is there anyway i can find a same tool like this, or are they all different? Any ideas?

The lugnut looks like this.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Did you not get a sticker or piece of paper with the key code on it?? They give you one incase you lose it. It looks like mine but they are prolly a little different.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you not get a sticker or piece of paper with the key code on it?? They give you one incase you lose it. It looks like mine but they are prolly a little different.
nah, i really don't think there is a code in the baggie... gay huh? :dunno

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Nothing came with it?! Thats very weird, they must not be coded or whatever differently i would go by another set and see if it works if not take them back.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well all of it came with the car, so idk where they're from... I don't think they're ford because the back doesnt have anything ford on it... its just what the key was in when i got the car. I could have i put the key back in that back but we just tore the trunk apart looking for it... URG! Its frustrating!

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Check your glove box.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my cousin is coming by after work and he has the same looking key... so
:crossfingers

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Haha oh i did, i checked the WHOLE car, tool box, ground, shop, etc... etc... etc... :(
Damn that's really shitty!! I got mine with my car so i dont know what they are either but the look the same!! LOL Thats a shitty situation. Maybe go to some shops see if they have one like that and test it :dunno

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn... it was a totally different one... I don't know if this is factory, can someone verify this? Because if so i'll drop by the ford dealership and see if they can remove them for me.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
any good tire shop will have special sockets to get them off, it really isn't a big deal, should only cost a couple of buck's to get 'em off.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any good tire shop will have special sockets to get them off, it really isn't a big deal, should only cost a couple of buck's to get 'em off.
Okay thank you! I was gettn kinda worried. I didnt want to have metal bead spots on my wheels.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
They are easy to get off with no key. Take a 6 point socket and BEAT it down on the lock socket. Be sure to get a socket that is just smaller than the roundness of the locknut. BEAT the socket down on there and then take your impact and it will come off! Ive done it NUMEROUS NUMEROUS times at the shop. Never ruined a socket or anything. You will have to beat the nut back out the socket.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
But its perfectly round, would this still work?
thats how they work, thats exactly what the tire store will have. they come in a few diffrent sizes & you pick the one that will almost go over the lug nut, but not quite & spin it on with an impact gun, the heat will expand the socket slightly & grip the nut & spin it right off.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are easy to get off with no key. Take a 6 point socket and BEAT it down on the lock socket. Be sure to get a socket that is just smaller than the roundness of the locknut. BEAT the socket down on there and then take your impact and it will come off! Ive done it NUMEROUS NUMEROUS times at the shop. Never ruined a socket or anything. You will have to beat the nut back out the socket.
I've done this before, but with the weird ones like this...

I was wondering if i could do that with these, because they seem harder and perfectly round, which would be harder to do.
since mine are like these

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
perfectly round is all ive done. You will have to hit it hard but just get a descent size hammer and its no problem. The worst part is getting the nut back out. I have to but use a vise and another bolt to get the nut out of the socket each time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts