Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got an email from my high school counsler saying that you need to make sure that you meet the deadline to register for the armed forces w/in 30 days of your 18th... well i turned 18 on october 5th 2007 and i didnt even know about the registering!

He said that if you miss the deadline then you cant apply for college loans (isnt a problem for me) and you cant apply for govenrment jobs... well i am in training to be a firefighter! WTF! i had no idea

am I screwed? I am also going to college on a full ride to major in buisness but my main job was gonna be a firefighter... i'm registering 1st thing tomorrow.

so am i screwed?

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
there is no deadline to sign up for the armed forces :wtf

you do need to sign up for some stuff.. i cant remember what its called... selective service it think?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
hes talking about the draft. and i dont knwo if youll be in toruble or not. i had a sign up letters in my mailbox from the federal govt the day i turned 18. you should have gotten something. and its called selective service

·
Registered
419 Posts
naw dude
prob talking about that ssi or w/e
when your 18 you gotta sign up for the draft
i got somethign excatly 6 months after i turned 18 saying i had 90 more days or id have to go to jail
nothing big man

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
it's just a simple sign up..
like WP said.. they aren't drafting anyone.
It's just something you have to do when you hit 18

·
Registered
198 Posts
you can register online just type in selective service in google and it will pop up i had to do ot when i went to the recruiter to sign up and i was 19 and didnt know about it

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
do you mean the draft w.e thingy...

just go sign up at your local registry office... tell them you turned 18 but forgot to do all the paper work that your required to do... and they will be like oh... here while your at it let me preach the ways of the military at you... and you say no thanks im training to be a local fireman and they are like oh kkthxbye

·
Banned
5,919 Posts
i never got anything in the mail about signing up for it

one day, when i was 18, i dun remember how long after.. i just said, i gotta sign up

so i went online and signed up

2 weeks later i got the notice saying i successfully signed up and to keep it as proof in case they try to say i didn't

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
ok i just got an email from my high school counsler saying that you need to make sure that you meet the deadline to register for the armed forces w/in 30 days of your 18th... well i turned 18 on october 5th 2007 and i didnt even know about the registering!

He said that if you miss the deadline then you cant apply for college loans (isnt a problem for me) and you cant apply for govenrment jobs... well i am in training to be a firefighter! WTF! i had no idea

am I screwed? I am also going to college on a full ride to major in buisness but my main job was gonna be a firefighter... i'm registering 1st thing tomorrow.

so am i screwed?
your going to jail you draft dodger:D

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
ok ****er pass that joint..

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
you wont get drafted. the armed forces has what they call inactive reserve. so if the **** hit the fan the us could have up to 3million prior service mebers ready to go (minus the ones with medical/legal matters) that last 5years after you inlist. (this is a quote from a website)

Registration is the law. A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years.
Even if not tried, a man who fails to register with Selective Service before turning age 26 may find that some doors are permanently closed.
See also Men over the age of eligibility to register.
See also What Does Selective Service Provide for America.

Register Now! - Register on-line.

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.

CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly called the Job Training Partnership Act - JTPA) offers programs that can train young men for jobs in auto mechanics and other skills. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service. Only men born after December 31, 1959, are required to show proof of registration.

FEDERAL JOBS
A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal government and the U.S. Postal Service. Proof of registration is required only for men born after December 31, 1959.

Some states have added additional penalties for those who fail to register. See State Legislation.
Selective Service wants young men to register. It does not want them to be prosecuted or denied benefits. If a draft is ever needed, it must be as fair as possible, and that fairness depends on having as many eligible men as possible registered. In the event of a draft, for every man who fails to register, another man would be required to take his place in service to his country.

heres the websit. Selective Service System: Fast Facts

remember google is your friend. im rebuilding my motor with it:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts