Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all you turbo gurus out there I have a question that I can't find an answer for.

I know everyone says to upgrade the turbo when buying On3's kit. I was looking to get a quicker spool (isn't everyone) but I'm not sure who makes the upgraded turbos on their site.

Is it worth the $120 for a billet compressor wheel and $400 for the 67mm cBB turbo from their site?

What would I realistically gain from the 67 cBB over the stock 70 journal bearing?

The car is a street car with maybe 2 or 3 trips to the track each season. I'll be doing a MMR shortblock also and searching for around 550 whp.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Once again, I'd like to know aS iv heard the same and will be placing that order in 10days

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
All China turbos...a good ball bearing turbo you usually see a 300rpm quicker spool. They do not help make power. A 67mm will make 550rwhp no problem. Your housing AR's will decide greatly on your spool potential and growing potential as well.

Id get a billet wheel before a ball bearing turbo...

Specs on your car? gears, transmission, tire size?

Reactions: BAzombie

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Scott.

Right now I'm running 3.73's for rear gears. I still have the stock 3.27's in my garage but I'll wait until I see how she preforms before I switch back.

Tranny is a stock T-45.

Tires are Nitto NT05R. 275/40/17. I'll need wider wheels before I can run a bigger tire. I've also tossed around the idea of going with a 28" tall tire to help compensate for the 3.73's.

The more I have researched, the more I have realized that spool is more tied to the housing size on the exhaust side of the turbo rather then the size of the turbo itself. That's one reason why I started this thread. The other was that it does no good to upgrade the On3 turbo if the upgrade is just another On3 turbo.

So it seems I'd be best served with staying with the On3 70mm and just get the billet wheel until I can afford something better. Just as long as no unforeseen problems arise I'll start ordering all my goodies next week. :woot

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have also been researching the exact same thing for a few months. I actually have the complete on3 kit sitting in the garage, along with some patriot heads to be installed in 3 weeks. Personally, i decided to stay with the base 70mm turbo, and run the piss out of it til it dies, then go ahead and get a better (not necessarily bigger) turbo. I found many opinions, but nobody has the "right" answer, from what I found. Either way, i hope you hit your goal #s, same for myself!

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I'd leave the 3:73s in with being a stick. If its to much get a tire. But that's what I'd run with a stick shift. Spool is dictated by a lot but the 70mm with a .68ar it wil spool fine but idk I like a .81ar for less Backpressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts