Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have finally saved up some money to finally get some boost. Trying to figure what would be the best option. Keep in mind that my Cobra is a daily driver and I am not looking to race for competition. Both the On3Performance turbo kit and 03/04 Cobra Eaton swap will cost about the same. If you could help me out with the pro's and con's that would be greatly appreciated. I know the turbo would be more efficient, but which one would be more reliable? Stuff like that. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If done properly, they would both be reliable. Do you want more low end tq to throw you back in the seat or more hp up top to keep pulling hard? Me personaly, I love having the low end tq

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Eaton: Low end torque, easier install, will allow you to go to big twin screws down the line. Changing boost is just a pulley away. Has a scream that sends a chill down your spine. Cheaper.

Turbo: higher end power, much more power overall, but less low end. Also lets you to to bigger turbo's down the line. Much more work on the install. Better have a top notch oiling system. Will probably require a tubular K-frame. Will require lots of new exhaust parts, and you have to watch you for bad welds. Makes you sound like a jet aircraft. More expensive, but more power.

Which kit are you looking at, single or twins? (Maybe go compound and get a turbo and an Eaton?)

Whichever you do, watch out for your power level on stock internals. I got my Eaton parts off a guy with an 01 Cobra after he blew the motor, and 4valve on here just blew his motor with an Eaton swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the same kinda dilemma as you but I have decided the turbo route for two reasons.

1. I am a welder/ machinist/ mechanical engineer/ so any problems that arise I will be easily able to overcome them.

2.I have an extra MarkVIII engine that I will be fording the internals and and porting the heads and machining my own cams. So adding allot more boost down the line seems to be much easier with the turbos ( if I am wrong would someone please show me the error in my thoughts).

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Eaton: Low end torque, easier install, will allow you to go to big twin screws down the line. Changing boost is just a pulley away. Has a scream that sends a chill down your spine. Cheaper.

Turbo: higher end power, much more power overall, but less low end. Also lets you to to bigger turbo's down the line. Much more work on the install. Better have a top notch oiling system. Will probably require a tubular K-frame. Will require lots of new exhaust parts, and you have to watch you for bad welds. Makes you sound like a jet aircraft. More expensive, but more power.

Which kit are you looking at, single or twins? (Maybe go compound and get a turbo and an Eaton?)

Whichever you do, watch out for your power level on stock internals. I got my Eaton parts off a guy with an 01 Cobra after he blew the motor, and 4valve on here just blew his motor with an Eaton swap.
Turbo: Changing boost is just a flick of the wrist with a boost controller rather than a pulley swap.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
i dont think on3 has a TT kit for the Cobra's..so prob single.

Turbo hands down. K-member is more work but helps you over all with less weight and better for racing...not to mention easier to work on your car.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
i dont think on3 has a TT kit for the Cobra's..so prob single.

Turbo hands down. K-member is more work but helps you over all with less weight and better for racing...not to mention easier to work on your car.
Not sure if On3 does, but have you seen Hellion's? :drool That hellraiser kit is utterly badass. I'd get it but I don't quite have a need for 1000+rwhp, or a death wish.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
your better off taking the blower off and just running the twins and good sheet metal intake is better then a Eaton.

·
Genibus Nitito Canus
2,947 Posts
i say an on3 kit

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
your better off taking the blower off and just running the twins and good sheet metal intake is better then a Eaton.
I was just talking about straight TT anyways.

And it depends on application. I have to admit the compound boost setup's power/torque curve is pretty alluring, but you pay for it on the top end.

Though I would like to toy with a bypass system for a compound boost turbo/screwed engine. It'll of course be on a much smaller (Read;cheaper) motor until I get the kinks worked out. Ah, engineering.

But I'm not quite looking for a built 1000+hp TT car, 26"s out back, SRA, auto with transbrake...I'll be happy with as far as a good twinscrew could get me on the streets.

I'll save the turbo insanity for when I get my Cummins diesel pickup. :eek:

...completely off topic as usual though.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
I don't know if it is out yet, but On3 has a forward facing turbo kit about to hit the market. So it might be worth waiting on that to come out before you make any decisions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everybody for you input. I was reading about the forward facing On3 kit. I was just worried about the kit not being reliable. Manolith on here has a complete 03 eaton swap that he is selling for $3100 shipped. On3's kit with the price of a complete kit including QA1 Kmember Kit: K-Member, Tubular A-arms, and Coil-over kit, On 3 Performance MAF kit (calibrated to specific injector size), Injectors: Ford Motorsport 42# Set of (8), Bump Steer Kit for $3200 shipped.

Also I have a stock internals so I was thinking which one would be safer until I can afford forged internals?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is a single turbo setup. I would not plan on a boost controller until I got forged internals.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just got off the phone with Mike from On3Performance. He said that the forward facing kit should be available this Friday. That it spools a lot faster then the previous kit, and it makes about 30whp more then before. It uses mild steel headers instead of your stock manifolds or shorties. I have made my decision to go with this kit. I will have to wait until next pay day now, because it cost a little more. It is $3600 for everything. Which really is not that bad considering all that you get. May not be top of the line name brand, but it is the best bang for the buck!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
So I just got off the phone with Mike from On3Performance. He said that the forward facing kit should be available this Friday. That it spools a lot faster then the previous kit, and it makes about 30whp more then before. It uses mild steel headers instead of your stock manifolds or shorties. I have made my decision to go with this kit. I will have to wait until next pay day now, because it cost a little more. It is $3600 for everything. Which really is not that bad considering all that you get. May not be top of the line name brand, but it is the best bang for the buck!
Sounds pretty good. I'm eager to see how the on3 forward facing turns out. Hopefully no kinks to be worked out.

That Eaton swap was priced waaaay too high btw. I paid $2500 for mine, it was ported, came with extra pullies, was powdercoated black, Fluidyne HE, and came with an 03 gauge cluster.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Excellent choice just for the mere fact of being able to turn up the power higher once you have a built shortblock. Eatons are limited as far as power adders go. As far as reliability, I've not heard of any bad stories with them. There's a shop here in STL that has done a few and the owner really liked the fitment, but that was on a 2V. The K-member should make oil changes a breeze now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds pretty good. I'm eager to see how the on3 forward facing turns out. Hopefully no kinks to be worked out.

That Eaton swap was priced waaaay too high btw. I paid $2500 for mine, it was ported, came with extra pullies, was powdercoated black, Fluidyne HE, and came with an 03 gauge cluster.
That is good to know that Eaton swap was priced too high.

I plan on buying forged pistons and rods and getting the motor rebuilt this summer, so as soon as I do. I will get a boost controller and turn that baby up when some body wants to pull up beside me and play lol.

How good is the QA1 K-member, tubular A-arms and coil-over kit? Has anybody had any major issues with the quality and fitment with these products?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
mild steel turbo headers :eek:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts