Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, so I caught wind of an extremely affordable single turbo kit for the 3v 4.6. Now, the kit looks awesome and I've done a little reading into the kit which runs all of about $1,800.

Now my question with this is if anybody here has actually purchased this kit and what their experiences are. I know that some people have complained about the ground clearance and I was wondering if there was a means to negate that. Also, I know that on their site on3performance they claim that running about 5psi they can put down about 380hp/406tq and with 13psi they run about 551hp/558tq. These claims true at all?

On3Performance 3v Single Turbo Kit Link: On 3 Performance - Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Use the search button up top and there are A TON of threads and info on the kit, where to buy, what to buy to support your goals. Many people are running these turbo's and it's hit or miss. 99% of people will tell you to stay away from the gen1 kit. I agree, look into the gen2 kit that comes with headers. Gen1 was their first kits for the cars and they are hit or miss with the way everything fits togther

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
oh nevermind they didnt make a gen2 for your year. That one is the only one availible and it does come with the headers. I would buy through jegs or somewhere else where you dont have to buy directly from the company. Many people (including myself) have had HORRIBLE luck with their customer service. My kit even came incomplete and I paid out of pocket for the missing parts because I gave up on trying to get them to respond. Like I said, search it and you will gain tons of knowledge about them

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it stands my car is completely stock, bought it back in April and I didn't want to get into building it until after I got back from this deployment next year.

Power goals would be nice to get anywhere within the area of 500rwhp with the ability to comfortably upgrade further on down the road. So I don't want to screw myself over with a dead-end kit either.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Should be fine with this kit. Fuel wise your gonna need a decent setup. People are getting into the 500hp range on a single 340lph pump but I'd imagin the duty cycles pretty high. Dual pumps would work much better. I am not too sure what is all availible for you model car fuel wise. Then with this kit you need a k-member and coilover. Then for injectors 42# will get you to about 550hp at most so if you want room to grow I'd go 60s or 80s (considering they are so close in price)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would there been any issue running 60's or 80's though if I were just shooting for that 500-550hp zone to start with? I'm not the saviest of guys when it comes to mechanics, so pardon me while I learn on the fly here, lol.

Bout how much do you think it would run for the upgraded fuel system combined with the turbo kit?

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
turbo 2kish
kmember KIT 700ish
fuel system 200 ish
injectors 400ish
3300 ISH if my math isn't messed up. I say ISH because you can buy used parts and Im not 100% prices for your year compared to mine

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
As far as injectors 42# sould be fine, but on the limit at 550. 60# are more than enough but if your buying them new for and extra 20 dollars or so you can get 80#ers

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might just knock it out with bigger injectors then. Could the 60's run well with an end set up of 650-700hp? No lie, after a few years that's where my end power goals will be. So if I can get the fuel system squared away early on then I can see that as saving me from having to upgrade a second time further on down the road.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, alright, I'll look into the injectors a bit more.

On another note, do you think I'd have any issue running this turbo with Flowmaster's American Thunder exhaust?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol

I'll have to double check on that then, I haven't seen anybody recommend a k-member kit for the S197's when getting this turbo kit. In fact, On3Performance even says that they didn't have to do a thing with the stock suspension for them to get the kit to fit.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
If u go turbo your going to want straight though mufflers. The flows will hold u back a little because of too much back pressure

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts