Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have been researching up and down this entire forum on various nitrous threads and i have truly learned a lot but... Its still leaving me rather uneasy, I really want to run the ZEX WET KIT on my 06. I am looking to run a 75hp jet or possibly the 100hp jet, i currently am running CAI, throttle body, Detroit rocker cams, Brenspeed tune and longtubes. Is nitrous a safe thing for me to run??? What all do i need to safely run this kit??? :eek:

Thanks everyone in advance!

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
well i would def look into a fuel system upgrade you might be pushing the stock fuel pump to its limits with a 100 shot, with nitrous you never wanna run out of fuel.
the zex kit it comes with a tps wot switch which is fine but you really need to be confident in your driving cause if you smack redline and hit fuel cut youll get detonation so to avoid this id look into a window switch so you can program the rpm range you wanna spray in i say the best range is 2900-5800 maybe higher with your cams but thats a safe range. now for personal safety if you ever plan on running at the track nhra rules require you have to have a blow down tube with a burst disk that aims out the bottom of the car, bottle gauge, fire jacket and helmet and the line from the bottle must be ran under the car.

·
taylor21pierce snapchat
758 Posts
when you say smake the redline are you talking about an auto or a 5 speed because i have a 5 speed and i have a nitrous kit but dont have a wot swich or window swich. so im also wondering what i need to run this properly and iv talked with many people who say a stock gt can handle 150 shot to the crank.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
when you say smake the redline are you talking about an auto or a 5 speed because i have a 5 speed and i have a nitrous kit but dont have a wot swich or window swich. so im also wondering what i need to run this properly and iv talked with many people who say a stock gt can handle 150 shot to the crank.
i was speaking about a 5 speed and i wouldnt suggest running a 150 without a boost-a-pump or gt 500 fuel pump, ive seen people run a 150 on a stock bottom end but needed a fuel system upgrade and as with everything it will come to an end. now have you ran any shot on your car yet or just planning to?

·
Registered
599 Posts
well i would def look into a fuel system upgrade you might be pushing the stock fuel pump to its limits with a 100 shot, with nitrous you never wanna run out of fuel.
the zex kit it comes with a tps wot switch which is fine but you really need to be confident in your driving cause if you smack redline and hit fuel cut youll get detonation so to avoid this id look into a window switch so you can program the rpm range you wanna spray in i say the best range is 2900-5800 maybe higher with your cams but thats a safe range. now for personal safety if you ever plan on running at the track nhra rules require you have to have a blow down tube with a burst disk that aims out the bottom of the car, bottle gauge, fire jacket and helmet and the line from the bottle must be ran under the car.

You only need a blow down tube if the botlle is in the cabin
I have never herd of any of those other rules except the line being run outside the car
And after just speaking to several friend that run nitrous our local track does not
enforce fire jacket extinguisher etc and they are a certified track
helmet is required for under 14.0 unless convertible t-tops etc

Ne way id run at least a wide open throttle switch and a window switch minimum and
you stock fuel system is fine I've herd 05-09 running between 100 - and 150 without engine work but I wont push over 100 and make sure to step the plugs and get a tune

·
taylor21pierce snapchat
758 Posts
i used to drive a 07 v6 until it was totaled. i had the nitrous kit on it and it was set it up to a push button and i let off the button when i wanted it to stop spraying. it was an auto and i ran a wet 75 shot. the thing is now i have a 5 speed and i want to put my nitrous kit on that but i dont know what is needed to run it safe. like if i missed a shift or somthing along that line.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so you guys answered many of my questions, and I thank you for that, I will also need to get ahold of my local track and see what i need to meet their requirements to run n2o.. How about the progressive switches? are they decent? AVOID DETONATION.... that is the key here, not looking to destroy anything (except other cars) :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pro gressive is up to you depending on what you wana spend for a controler a nitrous outlet or fjo racing has and all in one tpms/rpm / progessive controls

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just make sure you do it right and go cheap ob anything. I had a 2v gt and ran a 100shot dry kit with full bolt on's and a tune. Long story short I blew the motor. Granted these 3v motors are much stronger but I skipped on the window switch and that's what did me in. Is your saleen supercharged? If so make sure your bottom end can handle all this extra power your throwing in.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, my Saleen is not supercharged (sore subject) but I will definitely run the window switch but I am trying to see which one would be safer of the 2 options... Either way I refuse to go cheap! I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for... most the time! lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just make sure you do it right and go cheap ob anything. I had a 2v gt and ran a 100shot dry kit with full bolt on's and a tune. Long story short I blew the motor. Granted these 3v motors are much stronger but I skipped on the window switch and that's what did me in. Is your saleen supercharged? If so make sure your bottom end can handle all this extra power your throwing in.
I ran a dry Zex kit on my 01 GT with a 125 shot and never had a problem.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
which system is recommended Wet or Dry... i hear that wet is a better system, myth of fact??

·
Registered
789 Posts
I ran a dry Zex kit on my 01 GT with a 125 shot and never had a problem.
What else did you have done to the car? I had a cai bbtb ported plenium typhone intake patriot heads cams headers o/r mid pipe and a cat back, that combined with little fuel upgrades, 90k on the motor, and a auto trans and it didn't last long. Plus I was stupid enough to have that as my de and I was 18 so I beat the crap out of it. Im guessing you didn't have alot done to it or was easier on the motor than I was? That whole experience turned me away from the bottle though.
Wet kits mix the nitrous with your fuel before entering the combustion chamber so they mix before hand. Its called a wet kit because it typically leaves fuel inside your intake manifold thus making them "wet"
A dry kit on the other hand, throws the nitrough through the throttle body from your cai and doesn't meet the fuel until the combustion chamber. This leaves the manifold dry so its termed "dry" kit. Just a fyi for everyone that didn't already know.
people say wet is better because its easier to monitor the mixture of fuel and no2, preventing you from running too lean.

·
The Constitutionalist
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to know, i have never been around anyone running any type of spray so its a whole new thing to me and i want to leave my motor naturally aspirated for a while, kind of throw people off a little bit..

·
Registered
599 Posts
i know very few people ive just been digging into it alot lol im putting 100 on my 2011
and no one in that forum has really done spray yet but a guy i cruise with has an 05 with a built motor and runs a 200-shot with a hsw setup with a nitrous outlet controller

·
Registered
170 Posts
What else did you have done to the car? I had a cai bbtb ported plenium typhone intake patriot heads cams headers o/r mid pipe and a cat back, that combined with little fuel upgrades, 90k on the motor, and a auto trans and it didn't last long. Plus I was stupid enough to have that as my de and I was 18 so I beat the crap out of it. Im guessing you didn't have alot done to it or was easier on the motor than I was? That whole experience turned me away from the bottle though.
Wet kits mix the nitrous with your fuel before entering the combustion chamber so they mix before hand. Its called a wet kit because it typically leaves fuel inside your intake manifold thus making them "wet"
A dry kit on the other hand, throws the nitrough through the throttle body from your cai and doesn't meet the fuel until the combustion chamber. This leaves the manifold dry so its termed "dry" kit. Just a fyi for everyone that didn't already know.
people say wet is better because its easier to monitor the mixture of fuel and no2, preventing you from running too lean.
4.10 gears, shorty headers, off road x-pipe, magnaflow mufflers, cai, upper plenum, MT e/t streets, 125 dry shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts