Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Regular
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some opinions on a set up.

Which should I put on my '12 gt, frpp springs with bilstein shocks or h&r street performance coilovers? I'm looking for a decent drop to about 1.25 to 1.5 inches, and i'm also going to mount sve drifts that are 19x9.5.

Just to give some info in terms of my general use of my car, I auto-x and drive in a few canyons in SoCal.

Thanks for your time guys.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
There's better options for the same $. I'm sure whiskey will chime in soon.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Wanted to get some opinions on a set up.

Which should I put on my '12 gt, frpp springs with bilstein shocks or h&r street performance coilovers? I'm looking for a decent drop to about 1.25 to 1.5 inches, and i'm also going to mount sve drifts that are 19x9.5.

Just to give some info in terms of my general use of my car, I auto-x and drive in a few canyons in SoCal.

Thanks for your time guys.
Of the two you recommended I would go with the lowering springs + Bilsteins. Cheap coilovers are cheap for a reason. The least expensive set I would consider are Ground Control coilovers, otherwise, Koni Yellows + Lowering Springs or the Bilsteins if you don't want the adjustment knob of the Koni's.

I would seriously consider investing in a set of camber plates, real ones, like the Maximum Motorsports, Ground Control, or Vorshlag plates. Get your alignment guy to give you a set up with them at one setting for daily driving then allow you to dump them inboard when you autocross for maximum negative camber to save your tires from outer shoulder destruction.

Most important though, is what tires you are running on. EVERYTHING that your car does revolves around 4 contact patches on the ground. Get the widest, best and stickiest tires you can afford, preferably in the Extreme or Ultra Summer Performance category.

Now specifically, the springs, there isn't anything specifically wrong with the FRPP/Eibach springs other than I personally do not like the "progressive" nature of the springs. They tend to have a weird spring rate change as you run them harder and harder and can be really hard to learn to drive around. I push people who are semi-serious about autocrossing towards the linear springs like Steeda's and the various other linear spring packages because they are more consistent when pushed hard. You do trade a little ride quality for performance there.

What tires are you running and what specifically is your budget for this? What is your experience level in performance driving?

·
Regular
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well right now my budget for tires is about $900. right now i have cheap-o kumhos for my stock rims, but as soon as i pick up a new set of tires for my SVE drifts i'll be mounting those.

i was looking at the max. motor sport camber plates, but those arent high up on my priority list for mods due to budget limitations :/

also, instead of bilsteins i think i may buy the koni str.t's along with the steed ultralight springs.

i'm pretty new to performance driving, i have auto-x'd twice but i'm getting more involved whenever i have time (i'm a premed student at USC so time is a big issue for me)

Thanks for the input whiskey, i knew you would share your wisdom. you are definitely the go to guy for any suspension questions! it is much appreciated.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
well right now my budget for tires is about $900. right now i have cheap-o kumhos for my stock rims, but as soon as i pick up a new set of tires for my SVE drifts i'll be mounting those.

i was looking at the max. motor sport camber plates, but those arent high up on my priority list for mods due to budget limitations :/

also, instead of bilsteins i think i may buy the koni str.t's along with the steed ultralight springs.

i'm pretty new to performance driving, i have auto-x'd twice but i'm getting more involved whenever i have time (i'm a premed student at USC so time is a big issue for me)

Thanks for the input whiskey, i knew you would share your wisdom. you are definitely the go to guy for any suspension questions! it is much appreciated.
Just thinking ahead here but I would really prioritize getting enough negative camber sooner rather than later. If you are going to spend $900 on a set of nice summer tires you are going to want the negative camber to keep from destroying the outside shoulders of the tires. Ask me how I know? :p -1.7º wasn't enough for me and if I wasn't able to flip my $1000 set of tires on the rims they would have to be tossed into the trash about 3 events into this next year. I know it sounds painful but maybe saving your money until you can do shocks/struts, springs, camber plates, and PHB all at once is a more prudent idea just to save the headache of having to tear everything down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I 2nd this!

·
Registered
198 Posts
FYI, CalClub is next running Jan 27th & Feb 17th at Auto Club Speedway, and Speed Ventures is there Feb 23rd & 24th. I'm hopefully at all those. :stickpoke

I'm sticking with stock suspension for a while, but the top of my current wishlist is Koni yellows & Steeda Sports. That in part based on reading Whiskey's posts.

·
Regular
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just as an update, i bought bmr lowering springs, a panhard bar from bmr, as well as 3.73 gears and a flowmaster outlaw axelback system. A set of koni str.t's are next on the list! and then hopefully a set of hankook v12's for the sve drifts sitting in my closet.

sorry for the long list but figured you guys would be interested :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts