Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been havin this nasty squeeking noise lately and I've come to the conclusion it's the throw out bearing going to hell on me. I figured I'd save up for gear, new clutch, and tlok while I was going to have the tranny all torn apart. Last night I drove the car and it was fine. Got up for class today and it started up really rough and just handled like ****. It was a little better after class but now it's grinding when it's in 4th gear, there's a whining noise when I put the accelerator down more than normal, and it sounds like something is dragging when I coast with the windows down. Anybody have any ideas what the whining or dragging noises could be? The whining is coming from the engine compartment and the dragging noise (almost a metal on metal sound) is coming from the back end of the car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The whine from the engine bay could very well be the power steering pump. Check to see it has fluid and no leaks. As for the grinding in the back of the car I dunno, gears maybe? It's not like brake squealer sound is it?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it's not a brake squealer sound. I'll check the fluids when I get a chance. I'm hoping it's nothin serious.

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Check the power steering pump and fluids, check the water pump, tranny fluids and goto a local AAMCO for a tranny check up.

My PSP on my Kia squeaked right before the pump went bad. Changed it, then belt blew and it handled like a mofo til I had both changed. The grinding gear might be a tranny problem, depending on how hard your Stang was driven beforehand.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've driven my stang pretty gently. Only pushed her hard a time or twice since I've owned her. A high school kid owned the car before me and with all the body damage I'd say he drove her hard. I can't say I'm overly sad about the gears as I'm planning on 3.73s and tlok anyways, I just wish it would have waited a little longer so I could have the money in place to buy the parts :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts