Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mustangs came with a t-lock right correct me if im wrong i have a 1990 gt convertible a guy at my work said that i could fix the t-lock and get the posi back so i dont any more embarassing burnouts and if so how do i do it

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
dang ryan, you pretty on this stuff

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
But with 4 clutches you have to get the s-spring back in. thats a bitch.
That's what the 20ton press is for:D. I did the carbon fiber rebuild on the wife's 94GT--it was still a bitch getting the spring back in. I don't know if there's more material on the clutches--but it was tight with three (no pun intended;)).

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
To address the getting the S-spring back in issue. First, when you remove the stock clutch packs you are supposed to measure the thickness, add 0.010" to it and then measure the thickness with the new pack and put the correct shim in there to match the original thickness+0.010". So they should be the same thickness with 4 clutches as with 3. That is why the ford kit comes with a whole bunch of shims...

Also here is a trick. You get two worm clamps and wrap them around the S-spring so that the gear part is on the inside of the spring and then you tighten them down util you can push the spring in there by hand. Next you loosen the worm clamps when the spring is in place and then yank them out with a pair of vise grips while holding the S-spring in place. Makes it a lot easier, especially if you have 3.73 gears or bigger.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
To address the getting the S-spring back in issue. First, when you remove the stock clutch packs you are supposed to measure the thickness, add 0.010" to it and then measure the thickness with the new pack and put the correct shim in there to match the original thickness+0.010". So they should be the same thickness with 4 clutches as with 3. That is why the ford kit comes with a whole bunch of shims...

Also here is a trick. You get two worm clamps and wrap them around the S-spring so that the gear part is on the inside of the spring and then you tighten them down util you can push the spring in there by hand. Next you loosen the worm clamps when the spring is in place and then yank them out with a pair of vise grips while holding the S-spring in place. Makes it a lot easier, especially if you have 3.73 gears or bigger.
Where were you last spring, and why wern't you posting this then? J/K :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts