Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
There was an similar incident to that one about a week++ before it.

There are obvious answers to that question but it’s almost pointless to go there with explanations sometimes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/security-officer-police-shooting-suburban-chicago/index.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-security-guard-jemel-roberson-killed-details-20181115-story.html

So yeah “good guy with a gun” I guess one has to consider exactly how they are viewed socially wen it comes to getting caught with a gun in their hand as a guard, concealed carry or simply carrying it bc it may be viewed and reacted to in a certain way. Even in the cases of a good guy with a gun.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts

There are obvious answers to that question but it’s almost pointless to go there with explanations sometimes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/security-officer-police-shooting-suburban-chicago/index.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-security-guard-jemel-roberson-killed-details-20181115-story.html

So yeah “good guy with a gun” I guess one has to consider exactly how they are viewed socially wen it comes to getting caught with a gun in their hand as a guard, concealed carry or simply carrying it bc it may be viewed and reacted to in a certain way. Even in the cases of a good guy with a gun.
So perhaps the police shouldn't go in guns blazing just because someone is holding a gun, but should instead have to follow the same protocols citizens do (and by the way, police are citizens too, not military) and only draw/fire when they are in immediate danger. Having a gun in hand is not sufficient. Having a gun pointed at you however, is.

On the same token, gun bearing citizens should NOT walk around gun drawn unless there is an immediate threat to them. The guy didn't deserve to be shot, but walking around with a gun in your hand in a crisis situation is a bad idea, period.

This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation. Sadly, the police won't get held responsible because they're "the police".

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
So perhaps the police shouldn't go in guns blazing just because someone is holding a gun, but should instead have to follow the same protocols citizens do (and by the way, police are citizens too, not military) and only draw/fire when they are in immediate danger. Having a gun in hand is not sufficient. Having a gun pointed at you however, is.

On the same token, gun bearing citizens should NOT walk around gun drawn unless there is an immediate threat to them. The guy didn't deserve to be shot, but walking around with a gun in your hand in a crisis situation is a bad idea, period.

This is a "two wrongs don't make a right" situation. Sadly, the police won't get held responsible because they're "the police".

Interesting points to sit and think on Woodman.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts

Well in your normal fashion, you dance around with bullshit instead of saying it.

So you really think if the police walk up on the incident described, that if it were a white person holding a gun, after a shooting, they wouldn’t have been shot. SMH. You really think color makes a difference in this situation? The only thing that’s makes the shooting obvious would be that it’s person holding a gun. Color doesn’t matter. Not necessarily the views of the shooter. Who is the racist?

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
aren't more white people shot by cops than black people?

it sounds like the cops screwed up here, however the "good guy with the gun" could have handled things a little better as well. before you decide to carry, you need to really understand the responsibility and dangers involved, such as things like this happening. you never brandish your gun unless you are planning on killing an attacker. you don't hold them at gun point, you don't threaten them, you either run away or you shoot to kill as a last resort. after the threat is neutralized, you drop your gun (release mag and clear it first if possible), then you stand on it and call the cops or wait for them to show up with your hands up. at least that's what i've always been taught.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm assuming the idea is supposed to be that you don't draw until your life is in immediate danger. "Immediate danger" is subjective in a high stress situation like that.

I'd argue that there is, however, a large portion of people that tout the idea that they have their CCL to stop situations like these kinds of shootings, or else the whole "bad guy with a gun/good guy with a gun" statement wouldn't really hold any water.

So then what the **** is the point? You're either gonna get potentially blasted by the perpetrator or potentially blasted by the police that think you're the perpetrator.

I wouldn't argue against CCL or anything like that. I'm just arguing against the idea that a lot of these guys all believe they have their concealed carry to stop shooters like this, but ultimately, it really may be detrimental to the point of getting shot anyway, so then why act like you're going to stop a mass shooter some day?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Well in your normal fashion, you dance around with bullshit instead of saying it.

So you really think if the police walk up on the incident described, that if it were a white person holding a gun, after a shooting, they wouldn’t have been shot. SMH. You really think color makes a difference in this situation? The only thing that’s makes the shooting obvious would be that it’s person holding a gun. Color doesn’t matter. Not necessarily the views of the shooter. Who is the racist?
I'll say this...in response to your question about color...…

YES! I BELIEVE THAT COLOR HAD A PART IN THE SHOOTING! Now....before you go on some diatribe about how I'm some libtard pulling the race card AGAIN you miss the point that being that when a policeman sees a black man with a gun in his hand he is more apt to think negatively of that suspect than a white man. Yes they are both viewed as dangerous but it seems that the time it takes to get to the decision in regards to returning fire seems to come up much faster when it's a black man versus a white man. That goes for black cops too. You can tell me all about your own personal experiences but I get this from cops themselves. I'm friends with a good amount of LEO's here in L.A. We go out and eat and drink together fairly frequently. We've had lots of discussions about this very subject. They've all told me that when they get a call into a black area they are always more on alert than if they roll into a predominately white area. Even the black officers have told me the same thing. It's just the nature of the beast. The perception that, not just white, but most people have of black people when they are in that type of situation. I'll even go as far as saying that some of it is deserved in the way parts of the black culture are personified by blacks themselves.

NOW....that being what it is I will say that I've had the privilege of getting a chance to participate in a shoot/no shoot drill through a buddy of mine that is a higher up in the LAPD hierarchy. I walked away with a new respect for what cops go through when they have to make that terrible decision. It's a split second call that, honestly, is never certain until after you pull the trigger. After that it's too late. So......while I am against racial profiling especially when it ends up with someone dead I get that it's a tough decision in many instances.

John

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Wow! You guys really think the guy was shot because he’s black. That’s unbelievable to a level headed person. I know you’re too proud and pretentious to think you’re keeping racism alive, but you should give it a real consideration. I could post endless black on white crime where nobody cries racism, but that seems okay to you guys. It’s seriously unfathomable to any normal person. This guy made a mistake. The cop also did the wrong thing. That doesn’t make it racist. JUST BECAUSE A WHITE PERSON SHOOTS A BLACK PERSON DOESNT MEAN IT RACIST. Racism will never die with this mentality. Bet that.

My god, if white people cried racism and had a riot every time the roles were reversed, the world would burn down.....but that’s okay with the liberal crowd.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
aren't more white people shot by cops than black people?

it sounds like the cops screwed up here.......
I know demographics are SLOWLY changing here but there is still a certain lean in the population when it comes to the demographics here and the numbers so when the number of Minority’s vs a majority when you compare it all and crunch the numbers all things considered there will be quite a bit of difference I would think.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

On these type of topics It’s always I will say interesting for me personally to read 69ffbk post but you know I stop caring to respond to you some time back. Yeah I know you think I may still be the biggest racist on this forum like you stated some time back. Ha.. smh...

·