Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first real brake job and made a few mistakes.

I replaced rotors and pads all around, and the front calipers.

When I bled the front brakes I mashed the pedal to the floor AND ran the reservoir dry. :eek: Greaaat...Now I'm not getting a firm pedal.

I understand that I'll need to now bleed the master cylinder and then bleed at each caliper? And I may have damaged the MC by putting the brake pedal to the floor...?

Any tips or info that I might find helpful? If I damaged the MC then I guess I'll have to have it towed to a shop :dunno

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just did my first real brake job and made a few mistakes.

I replaced rotors and pads all around, and the front calipers.

When I bled the front brakes I mashed the pedal to the floor AND ran the reservoir dry. :eek: Greaaat...Now I'm not getting a firm pedal.

I understand that I'll need to now bleed the master cylinder and then bleed at each caliper? And I may have damaged the MC by putting the brake pedal to the floor...?

Any tips or info that I might find helpful? If I damaged the MC then I guess I'll have to have it towed to a shop :dunno
It's best to do one at a time. If you bled the brakes on all four at the same time...well that's a mess.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You need to buy a few 32oz bottles of brake fluid and bleed the **** out of your brakes then the MC, your brakes will come back so dont worry !

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ouch man. the only time i've bled brakes is with my dad so im not sure exactly how it's done. Is it possible to damage the master cylinder? And I remember in my old 96 GT I once, at a stop, slowly pressed the pedal all the way to the floor and slowly let it back. Did this a couple of time and the brakes seemed much more response and touchy after that...can anyone explain? lol sorry to thread jack

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to buy a few 32oz bottles of brake fluid and bleed the **** out of your brakes then the MC, your brakes will come back so dont worry !
So first bleed at the calipers and then at the MC?

I read online that if you press the pedal too far when bleeding the brakes you can kill the MC because the seal goes over the corroded portion that is beyond the normal range of travel...especially with older cars. You're supposed to only press the pedal like 1/4 to 1/2 of its travel. Of course I find this out after I've floored it a bunch of times lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So first bleed at the calipers and then at the MC?

I read online that if you press the pedal too far when bleeding the brakes you can kill the MC because the seal goes over the corroded portion that is beyond the normal range of travel...especially with older cars. You're supposed to only press the pedal like 1/4 to 1/2 of its travel. Of course I find this out after I've floored it a bunch of times lol.
You may have to cycle around the brakes a few times and bleed the MC a few times to get all the air out of the system so dont panic just yet !

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just bleed the wheel furthest from the mc first and go through the rest....the mc should bleed itself out during this process

1 - 7 of 7 Posts