Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious:
how much hp gain with open headers?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Well, you cant run open stock headers.... and i would not suggest it on any engine smaller than a 350ci... you'll lose a tremendous amount of low end hp and tq and it sounds like complete ass on a 4.6 and especially a 3.8l v6

·
Registered
94 Posts
who in their right mind would run open headers on a 3.8? :eek:

YOUCH! you want to talk about a bumblebee in heat! That would be it! :D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
who in their right mind would run open headers on a 3.8? :eek:

YOUCH! you want to talk about a bumblebee in heat! That would be it! :D
hahahaahh... dont get me wrong, i love all mustangs, i just wouldnt do anything but a deep chambered muffler or keep em stock on a 3.8L mustang lol....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lol, open headers w/ pissy neighbors are great. Had my xpipe off this weekend after I installed a new flywheel. i gave my neighbors a wake up call down the street at 8 am yesterday morning!

ohh, btw, open lt's or stocks on a v6 are a big no no. I wouldn't even put any louder than stock muffler on a sixxer. Go for the sleeper look and sound.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol-i wasnt actually thinkin of rippin off the exhaust :lol
im plannin on a full MAC exhaust once i finally get a friggin job
i was j/c how much the pipes impeded the flow

·
Registered
971 Posts
Lol, open headers w/ pissy neighbors are great. Had my xpipe off this weekend after I installed a new flywheel. i gave my neighbors a wake up call down the street at 8 am yesterday morning!

ohh, btw, open lt's or stocks on a v6 are a big no no. I wouldn't even put any louder than stock muffler on a sixxer. Go for the sleeper look and sound.
Gotta love it haha, the people around my parents house are all old and bitchy. When I go see em I cant help but try and piss them off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not worth the noise and aggravation on a V6. You only really feel a gain with that on a larger engine or one with forced induction.

If you're still N/A, then open headers is more/less for intimidation only.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
I ran open headers on my six IMO the idle didn’t sound to bad but when you got on the gas it wasn’t so nice. And I will say that it did seam to feel like it had a little less power then with a full exhaust.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I had to run open headers due to my freakin cat breaking off my header, and white is right. It doesnt sound bad at idle, but getting on the gas is a different story. And it isnt legal anyways.

You will definitly notice a lose of low end power.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
The only car I've heard that sounded good with open headers was my buddy's LS1 camaro with LT headers. That thing was ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The only car I've heard that sounded good with open headers was my buddy's LS1 camaro with LT headers. That thing was ridiculous.
+1 I've heard an LS1 GTO straight out of LTs while the car and I were in a garage with concrete walls. Thing sounded NASTY!!! It was like thunder just at idle. And when it was reved... :eek:

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
One of my friends had a 86 Chevy pick up with a built 454 in it and custom hooker open headers. Now that was just ****ing bad ass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts