Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering what some of you out there, either with these setups' or are also in the same boat as I in wondering what to do/decide with..

Newish owner to a 2001 GT.
My headlights have the wonderful fading effect to where I am not too interested in looking at anymore.

So I was thinking about getting new ones. Yet cannot come to which ones/style to go for.

There are a good amount out there. I have looked/thought about just sticking to buying new stock headlight-housings and calling it a day. Or new stock-style ones and add the H.I.D's. After-market ones with H.I.D's. Retrofits/projectors with H.I.D's.
Keep with the stock look or go with the different...
This is where I'm at in the idea/deciding factor.

Pretty much, if you couldn't tell, I want H.I.Ds (obviously:wink2:).
So maybe a few ideas from all of you could help me go one way or another. Or some of you who have certain set-ups with likes or dislikes and what not.
If this is somewhere else and I completely just wrote all this for nothing and wasted peoples time in even looking, I am sorry.. :bash:
I just like to start new things to get peoples input/talking about.

None-the-less, Thanks for any ideas/info/input/discussion'ish stuff for this!:grin2:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've got HID's and clear corner headlights. You can grab them on eBay and amazon for pretty cheap and nice way to switch up the norm

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
HID's are great in the right housing. The ebay housings and others are always so damn ugly to me. The ones that look the best are the actual ones that people make and retrofit the projectors into. 01-04 black housing with a retrofit look great and don't look out of place like the others but will cost a good amount of money.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
HID's are great in the right housing. The ebay housings and others are always so damn ugly to me. The ones that look the best are the actual ones that people make and retrofit the projectors into. 01-04 black housing with a retrofit look great and don't look out of place like the others but will cost a good amount of money.
They're just knockoffs of what AM and LMR sell. Its the exact same product

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
They're just knockoffs of what AM and LMR sell. Its the exact same product
im not talking about those ones. The ones on ebay are everywhere else are the ones to stay away from and are ugly. The ones im talking about are the actual OEM housings retrofitted with projectors. There are members on here who have done them as well as members over on SVTP that do them but for a price.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
im not talking about those ones. The ones on ebay are everywhere else are the ones to stay away from and are ugly. The ones im talking about are the actual OEM housings retrofitted with projectors. There are members on here who have done them as well as members over on SVTP that do them but for a price.
Gotcha. I don't think I've ever seen the retrofits

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I have a few guys added on my Instagram who do the retrofits. I just can't decide if I want the projector look or the stock look.

Than.. I've herd that the stock housings can't handle/hold HIDs or something... So you'd have to go with a housing that supports them.....?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Ya I have a few guys added on my Instagram who do the retrofits. I just can't decide if I want the projector look or the stock look.

Than.. I've herd that the stock housings can't handle/hold HIDs or something... So you'd have to go with a housing that supports them.....?

That might be the case if you don't have the projector lenses but with the actual projector lenses I don't think there is a problem and at the same time were that the case then there wouldn't be guys modifying the stock housings. :2cents

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

That's not correct. Stock housings will work with HID's

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have seen some out there with stock-looking housings with HID's... Making me wonder now after what I'm about to say next about stock housings and what not..
This is some info I have come across which is making me wonder....

"Stock headlamps are not designed correctly to be used with HID capsules. the HID arc is outside of the "focal point" of the reflector and you will get a crappy beam pattern and annoying diffracted light. If you want HIDs you must use housings or projectors intended for them."

After reading this, I'm not sure anymore. Since all I wanted to do was to keep to the stock/OE look, buy new OE/stock-style housings and toss some HID's in them. But....

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Stock housings with just HIDs don't work and are dangerous to oncoming cars as they don't have the cut off that proper HID projectors. Stock housings with a retrofitted projector lens work properly as it aims the beam and has the cut off that stock reflectors can not do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suppose this makes sense.. So the ones I have seen on cars up-to-date are ones that have just been tossed in I'm assuming.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just grabbed the 01-04 sve lights from lmr and am not totally satisfied tbh. I'd recommend coughing up the dough for the Ford OE headlights, or better yet take the suggestion of what other posters have said and go TRUE projection... I think I've seen others recommend hidretrofitlights. They look like a top notch setup!

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
-OSIS- How come you aren't satisfied? Are they the ones that are in your sig currently?

And I've been semi looking around at the retro's but just can't seem to fully like the look of the projector look in the housings. Even-though, I have projectors on my other ride and they look great and produce awesome lighting. Just something different about mustang housings and custom retro's that is throwing me off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ThunderBall the lights visually look great, very close to stock and I'm picky as motha... The output of the light however compared to stock is kinda scattery. I hate the look of most projectors that are on the market with double eye setup and retarded leds... But I saw I a picture of the retrofits and they really do look good IMO.

Edit: Yes those are the SVE lights in my sig. And I was just puruasing Google image it seems like the shroud on the bulb makes or breaks the look. I think the simple, black shroud looks nicer than the chrome ones.

·
Professional Screwup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-OSIS- What were or are you being picky about with them..? Did you also add HID's to them? And ya, I am the same way when it comes to the shroud. I also like the black on the inside. All that chrome just doesn't do it for me either. And which retrofits have you seen?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts