Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at a '67 mustang for sale.

It is a solid body that is practically rust free, just a few small spots here and there. Original v8 car with a/c, and power brakes.

Interior: floor pans are great, just a few small pin holes. Carpet looks good, dash is alright, and rear seats are decent. Front seats, door panels and headliner needs replacing.

exterior: Paint is dull, but most of it is there, medium dent in the rear passenger side, but that can be knocked back out. no larger spots needing replacing, and no other body damage.

No motor or tranny

Seller is asking $1800

He also has a 5.8L (351w) HO from an 83/84 truck (needs rebuilt) $700

His son has a c6 trans & drive-shaft $200

The car is pretty clean, and if he has any parts I need, I can probably get them for free, or a low price.
I don't know much about that motor, but it sounds kinda high to me, would like some input on that.

Also, I have a 1997 v6 coupe, with an '04 v6, auto tranny, complete '04 interior, rear end, etc. practically the entire '04 swapped over, with less than 32k original miles on all of the '04 stuff.

Thinking about a trade straight across for the '67 + motor and misc parts. Sound like an OK deal?

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It was raining while I was there, so that's what the dark spots on the car are from.

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I don't know much about the classics, so I wasn't very sure about the pricing. I just didn't want to undersell myself with the '97 having practically all '04 parts with less thank 32k miles.

But I don't have a use for the '97 other than to sell it, and this would give me a new project to work on. Been wanting a classic for a while :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The car sounds like a pretty good deal, but $700 sounds steep for the motor, unless it is in great shape and doesn't need rebuilding. If if that, you will need to swap out the oil pan for a front sump unit, which means you'll need a new oil pickup as well (~$100 for both). The electronic ignition system from the 84 motor will very hard to spider into your wiring harness, and you might decide to buy an aftermarket ignition system ($100 - $800). The truck power steering brackets don't fit real well inside the mustang, and you will probably need to get a new bracket (~$100). The crank pulley on that motor will have one V-groove and one serpentine groove, so you will need to change that our for a 2 V-groove pulley (~$40 ~100).

I have an entire thread on putting a truck 351w into a classic mustang here:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/207806-65-coupe-351w.html

But I think the summary for you on the motor would be that I spent $350 on a bracket + Pulley combo, $100 on an HEI style 1-wire distributor, and $100 for a new oilpan and pickup. So you are looking at about another $500 on top of the $700 for the motor, that makes for a $1200 motor that has not been rebuilt. I'm betting you could find a much better deal on a 302 that has been rebuilt recently. Also 302 parts are more common and cheaper.

Just my 2cents

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
already tried $1500, he declined. Plus we are looking at a straight trade for my '97. Would it value out ok to you?

I thought the 351 sounded steep, but it is an original HO motor, with the 4bbl carb and intake. How much of a price difference would that make?

What would you recommend in place of the c6? I was thinking about it because it sounded cheap, and I would have a trans a drive-shaft to put in the car.

Thanks for the replies :)

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info ajzride, I'll lok into all that. I'll have look at the motor again today and get some more details on it.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I use a lot of C4 on mine.

The 351 is nothing special, You have to rebuild it anyways.

Look at Craigslist in your area. I would stand firm at 1500. No need to get to eager.

Look at eBay also.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah, some would say that's a great deal go for it. But at the end of the day all it really is just an old car with no engine or transmission. He's the one trying to sell it, let him try to get you to change YOUR price, not the other way around. What's the story on the 97? But if its a decent car then its not a good trade in my opinion.

Before I catch any flak just let me say: I do love these old cars and value them highly, but I do think people are wanting an unprecedented premium on what often is no more than a rusty old car not fit for the road. I'd rather have one of them over the best optioned new car, any day, but I'm sick of every Tom, Dick, and Harry wanting a small fortune (for the average guy) for their damn 6 cyl. mustang, malibu, or mopar.

Sorry for the rant. It looks like a great project, I just wouldn't meet his asking price and would forgo the engine and transmission he has.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
I put a C4 onto a 289 with a B&M shift kit and its awesome. If you wanted auto id suggest a C4 if you wanted a 5 speed i'd get a T5. Personally what id do it just take the rolling shell and look for a 302 and T5. That 351 is to much plus a rebuld. I see 302s all the time for around 300 and T5s for about 200-500. This is also in Canada though.

·
Registered
890 Posts
+1 on a 302 t5 combo

or go with a c4 if you want auto (though 302 AOD pairs are easy to come by too)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with these guys. Pass on the 351 and get a 289/302 with a c4 or go for the upgrade of a AOD or T5. The amount of money you'll spend on crossmemembers and stuff for a C6 you can spend the same on for a t5 or aod and you'll be much happier with them. I would also only offer around $1200. I picked my 67 up for $1000 and its in a little better shape and it has 289/c4 in it (not running). Good luck either way!

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I ended up making the trade with him. I got in a hurry, because looking back, I should have passed on the motor (was priced too high, and I don't need it). End result tho, I'm happy :)

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before Cleaning

I had engine cleaner on it in the picture, thats why it looks wet.

After Cleaning

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
are you going to just replace the right side quarter?

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not rusted through, so I'm going to try to knock the dent out and repair it.

·
mustangoholic
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After my Dad found out about my project, he said I could have his 4bbl 302 that he has in his old truck he never drives anymore. Like I said, I wasn't thinking and forgot he had that engine, or I would have definitely passed on the 4bbl 351w and just talked to him about his 302. Too late now, so I'm going to just put the 302 in the Mustang, and if I decided to rebuild the 351w, I can do that later and take plenty of time on it.

Here's his truck and the 302.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts